The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been planning on adding an in-line heater to my system but there are not many choices, basically the 200 & 300 watt Hydors. The tank is only 20 gallons so even the 200W will be overkill and from what I read end up kicking on and off too much burning it up without an external controller.

Does anyone recommend making my own DIY in-line heater? Using some sort of a PVC pipe with grommets so that I can not only use a smaller wattage heater but also be able to replace it on-the-fly if the heater dies.

Thoughts? Show and tell?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I have been planning on adding an in-line heater to my system but there are not many choices, basically the 200 & 300 watt Hydors. The tank is only 20 gallons so even the 200W will be overkill and from what I read end up kicking on and off too much burning it up without an external controller.

Does anyone recommend making my own DIY in-line heater? Using some sort of a PVC pipe with grommets so that I can not only use a smaller wattage heater but also be able to replace it on-the-fly if the heater dies.

Thoughts? Show and tell?
Hi Teebo,

I use the Hydor ETH 200 on my 20 gallon; it works great and holds a steady temperature. It does not 'cycle on and off' as I have heard some people complain about. I think it is because the heater is in line with a 220 gph canister filter so water is flushing through the heater very quickly. I believe the on/off cycling occurs when the water flow through the heater is too slow. Also, always be sure to operate the heater in the vertical position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.