The Planted Tank Forum banner

In-line heater for 75g with 525gph canister filter?

1261 9
75 gallon new build

I picked up a 525gph polar vortex canister filter because I liked the power for the price. (Plan on packing it full of high end media from Seachem.) The next thing I would like to figure out is how to have an external heating system. The guy at the aquarium shop handed me a Hydor 200w, 5/8” in-line, but I’m wondering if it can keep up?

My canister has 1” tubes for in and outflow. The largest clear lily pipes I found fits 5/8”.

How should I heat and plumb this?
I plan on keeping my tank 74-78 degrees. Having an internal heater will mess up my aquascape layout. But also concerned with in-line slowing my gph too much.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You'd probably want a 300w for a tank that size. I think hydor makes one in that wattage. You could also make your own. I did that recently and it worked really well. I posted about that project here: DIY Inline Heater with Temperature Controller

Anything in line can reduce your flow and 525 isn't a lot to start with for a 75...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I return my filter and get something stronger? I thought I was going to be plenty. I’m hoping to not build a in-line heater. Hydor doesn’t have any larger for sale online though there is one other brand that does. Still they all have 5/8 at most for tube sizing.

·
Banned
85 Posts
You'd probably want a 300w for a tank that size. I think hydor makes one in that wattage. You could also make your own. I did that recently and it worked really well. I posted about that project here: DIY Inline Heater with Temperature Controller
I have a question about this build. What heater is that? I kept scrolling back and forth going "how is this heater so small?" I thought it was the controller probe for like 20min. It's a very nice set-up though. Did you use a sealant on the reducers, I saw your teflon for the threaded bits but, was curious about the other fittings. Also, those tube clamps are legit.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Should I return my filter and get something stronger? I thought I was going to be plenty. I’m hoping to not build a in-line heater. Hydor doesn’t have any larger for sale online though there is one other brand that does. Still they all have 5/8 at most for tube sizing.
Is a heater the only thing you'll have in line? Or might you want to have a CO2 reactor? UV sterilizer? If all you're going to have is a heater, you may be fine.

I have a question about this build. What heater is that? I kept scrolling back and forth going "how is this heater so small?" I thought it was the controller probe for like 20min. It's a very nice set-up though. Did you use a sealant on the reducers, I saw your teflon for the threaded bits but, was curious about the other fittings. Also, those tube clamps are legit.
I'm using an Inkbird controller and a Hygger 500w titanium heating element. It might look a bit confusing in the pictures. There are two things with cords entering the housing. One is the heating element itself - it has a thicker cord and comes out one of the ends. The other is the thermometer probe for the controller.

Ha, yes - those clamps are awesome.

EDIT: I used teflon tape on all the threaded fittings (barbs and some bushings/reducers). All else were cemented.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is a heater the only thing you'll have in line? Or might you want to have a CO2 reactor? UV sterilizer? If all you're going to have is a heater, you may be fine.
Yes the heat would be the only thing in-line. The UV sterilizer is inside the canister and my Co2 is being dispersed with 2 neo diffusers inside the tank. I also have a wavemaker I can put somewhere for added flow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.