The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I cant recommend a inline diffuser because I have issues with mine that is part of the design flaw and the trouble having to remove and clean it. The one I have is ups atomizer which needs to be cleaned every 3-6mos depending on how dirty it gets which sucks because you will need to buy a second one as back up while you soak the clogged diffuser overnight with bleach and water and again with water and prime. I just ordered a sera flore 500 reactor. You also can build one yourself there is many post of diy reactors.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Hi Parahnoyd,

I use an in-line diffuser (Boyu CD-01) for my 45 gallon and my 30 gallon tanks and it works great although some small bubbles do come out the exhaust of the canister filter. I have the diffusers located on the output line of the filter. Boyu CD-01 are excellent; I have used them for six (6) years without a failure. They are a 'straight through' design so there is not a substantial restriction of flow. I use a four foot (48") tubing brush and clean the filter output tubing and the diffuser all at once - easy peasy.

Boyu CD-01 Diffuser (with strainer to be used in the tank; probably for an HOB filter)

Boyu CD-01 Diffuser (showing strainer removed and second barbed end for use in-line)

Boyu CD-01 Diffuser as set up on my 45 gallon

Four foot (4' / 48") Tubing Brush for canister filter lines

Tubing brush head is about 4" long by 1" in diameter

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Seattle_Aquarist Thanks for such an informative post! I think you've sold me on that Boyu CD-01 diffuser.
I've heard some people say that if you buy an in-line diffuser that you need to buy two. (So you can have one working while the other one is being cleaned) Do you recommend buying just one or having two on hand?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
@Seattle_Aquarist Thanks for such an informative post! I think you've sold me on that Boyu CD-01 diffuser.
I've heard some people say that if you buy an in-line diffuser that you need to buy two. (So you can have one working while the other one is being cleaned) Do you recommend buying just one or having two on hand?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Hi Parahnoyd,

I only have one diffuser per tank. There is no build up of algae on the ceramic probably because light does not penetrate the ceramic. All I typically find that comes out of the diffuser is the same 'slime' bio-film that I find in the filter tube. The brush seems to keep everything clean and the bubbles flowing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few years ago I used an external reactor inline on my eheim filter. Then moved to an atomiser. I am now back with a reactor, this time I used a spare pump to diffuse the co2 and also gives me extra water movement in the tank.

It does slow the output of the filter down, so I opted for a pump instead. It does mean I have 3 intakes and 3 outlets, once I rescape I can hopefully hide it all and tidy it up!! I prefer the reactor as you get better co2 dissolution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
A few years ago I used an external reactor inline on my eheim filter. Then moved to an atomiser. I am now back with a reactor, this time I used a spare pump to diffuse the co2 and also gives me extra water movement in the tank.

It does slow the output of the filter down, so I opted for a pump instead. It does mean I have 3 intakes and 3 outlets, once I rescape I can hopefully hide it all and tidy it up!! I prefer the reactor as you get better co2 dissolution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi dj-damo,

That is an interesting looking diffuser/reactor that I don't believe I have seen here in the US - do you know the brand/manufacturer?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine is ok. It depends on what kind of canister filter, amount of CO2, how fine the mist.... You can easily try it yourself. It's easy to clean, just soak the diffuser in 10% bleach overnight. I bought 3 set for rotation.
[Ebay Link Removed] Aquarium CO2 Diffuser Check Valve U Shape Glass Tube Suction Cup 4 6mm Tube | eBay[/url]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.