The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having trouble with the cycling of my 2.5 tank that I've had up in running for the past six weeks or so.

I thought it was just bad luck, but went and bought the API mater test kit for fresh water aquariums. After getting so many high readings after a few days of 75% water changes, I now have to question the validity of the kit.

So, in doing some research, I came across this....

Re: Important Information for API Freshwater Master Test Kit Users!
An condensed reply on the expirations of the master test kit solutions from API :

Each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture.
Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of 2002.

Ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate all last for three years.

Nitrite will last for four years.

Freshwater pH(low range) will last for five years.

Don't trust these kits after they have expired.
Once I wake up tomorrow, I'm going to check each bottle. I wanted to pass this information on to others that might not know about it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I recently purchased a kit and it seems they are now printing expiration dates on each reagent as well.

But if one has been sitting on a shelf for a while, it is definitely possible for you to end up purchasing one that is expired. Always a good thing to check!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
GH is the one that quit on me, the others seem to be still reacting, and giving decent results, even though they are expired.

Remember to shake well, especially if they say to shake the reagent or the test tube.
For example, the Nitrate is often reported as not reading right. But when you shake the reagents really well they start reading better.

Did you get the cycle back on track? What was going on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts