The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Well, I'm working on a planted tank setup for which I have many concerns, but one of them is water quality. Our tap water comes out around 8.4, and usually sits at around 8.2 in our tanks, and gH and kH are also very high. I can't remember the specific reading's off the top of my head but 300ppm comes to mind.

Now this is actually good as I understand it for some of the things I keep in my tank (snails and shrimp) because they need the Ca+ and Mg+ ions in the water for their shell health. We have a DI/RO unit we use for my husbands salt tank, and he thought I should also use this for my 30L planted tank.

The problem as I see it with this is if I use DI/RO water I will have to then buffer it back up somehow (crushed coral perhaps) to get the Ca+ and such back into the water. This seems like a lot of headache to me, and I was just wondering if it's really necessary? Would the plants really be better off if I used DI/RO water, or will they do just fine with my tap water?

Thanks for any input,

Tamara

·
Registered
659 Posts
I don't know that our water is quite as hard as yours, but I think the PH out of the tap is around 8 and the GH and KH are both very high (it's well water and we get the usual hard water spots, etc. associated with hard water) and my plants grow with no problems. I've found that I'm more limited in terms of what fish I can have than what plants I can grow. But others with more knowledge and experience may have a more scientific answer for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.