The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my tank today and everything is healthy. Looks good. New stems are growing, Red Temple is red, Red C. Furcata is pink at the tops.

Conclusion is that the 2 x54 T5 HO is adequate for my 84g tank.

But I was wondering, what could I expect from more light. If I switched to a 3 or 4 bulb fixture, what changes would I see.

Faster growth, just means more maintenance to me, but fuller growth might be good. Would color change? Would the "red" plants get redder, pinker? Would the Florida Sunset Crypts get more colorful?

Thanks,
AB

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
More light, if accompanied by more and more consistent CO2, much more attention to tank cleanliness, substrate cleanliness, filter cleanliness, plant pruning, plant fluffing, etc. would result in faster growth, with bigger leaves, thicker stems, and possibly more color. If not accompanied with all of that it would result in much more algae, more intractable algae growths, more varieties of algae. (And probably higher blood pressure, more deptression, lumbago and warts!)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Explain this for me...

I have two tanks.

38 gal 2.5 wpg coralife 96watt fixture co2 pressurized

10 gal 1.5 wpg original cheapo fixture no co2 (upgraded reflector)

I had some ludwigia in my larger tank, and it was green and the leaves were around 3/4 of an inch apart. it looked 'ok'.

I put it in my little 10 gallon b/c i didnt want to chuck it, and it didnt fit in in the larger tank.

It has turned into a great little plant. Beautiful red colored leaved that are extremely close together. It obviously grows slow... but looks SO NICE!

I cant wait to upgrade my 38 gal so that I can cut back just a bit on the light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.