The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Imagitarium brand is actually effective at detoxifying ammonia? I know Seachem Prime is supposed to be good for that for 24-48 hours, and I'm wondering how the two compare. I have looked around online, but haven't been able to find anything on the imagitarium brand, and I couldn't find an actual ingredient list. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, if not, please feel free to move it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
In response to your question, I read a very good technical article several months ago on what Seachem Prime does. The article provided the chemical equations of what occurs. Basically Prime slightly changes the chemical composition of Ammonia to Ammonium (hopefully I have this correct if memory serves) which your filter will have an easier time processing and coverting to Nitrate which plants can next work on in combination with scheduled partial water changes. This assumes one is using a filtered tank.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In response to your post on Imagitarium brand, you did not specify the product; are you specifically referring to their product called "Imagitarium Biological Booster"?

I am reading general information on it and it seems to be marketed more as a competing product to Seachem's "Stability" and NOT "Prime". Biological Boosters basically assist with adding some healthy bacteria to the tank. I add a (1/4) cap of Seachem Stability to my tank weekly when I perform my partial water changes. When I mix water in separate containers to prepare for adding to the tank I add a very small amount of Prime as a conditioner prior to adding to my tank. The amount is based upon how large of a partial water change one does. This Imagitarium product seems to be a similar type product to Stability if I am reading about it correctly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the reply! I am actually talking about the Ammonia Remover. It's advertised as detoxifying ammonia which is what Prime is supposed to do. I've heard a lot of people saying Prime is very effective at that, and I understand it's just a chemical reaction converting ammonia to ammonium so other products in theory should be able to do it. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the imagitarium brand is actually effective at it.

I ask because when I first got my fish, my cycle crashed and I went into a mini cycle. I was new and had a small tank, so I just ran out and bought the first ammonia detoxifier I could find that had instructions per 1 gallon instead per 10 gallons, without actually researching. So I have a bottle of the imagitarium brand detoxifier and I'm curious if it is worth keeping and using (in combination with water changes, of course) if I have something like that happen again, or if I should invest in the more expensive name brand stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts