The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 55g been setup for 3 months. has black diamond blasting sand. been using total root tabs and total liquid consintrate from aquariumplants.com. problem is i have no co2. leaves are covered with algae and some are dieing off. running 2watts/gal of light. thinking of buying this
PPS-Pro Fertilizer Package with 2 x 500mL Fertilizer Dispensers

they tell me i dont need root tabs if i use this system? please give me some advice on this. will this work better? and i dont need root tabs?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Which light ? How many hrs ?
Plants get ferts from both roots and through the leaves. Obviously yours are rather hindered from getting them from the leaves right now from the algae.
When the plants can get ferts from both ways it's easier for them to get what they need.
So in your case they might appreciate it more than usual. Need, no, benefit, yes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which light ? How many hrs ?
Plants get ferts from both roots and through the leaves. Obviously yours are rather hindered from getting them from the leaves right now from the algae.
When the plants can get ferts from both ways it's easier for them to get what they need.
So in your case they might appreciate it more than usual. Need, no, benefit, yes.

light is an aquaticlife dual t5 ho fixture with 1x6500k and 1xroseaette bulb on for 8hrs/day.

also i want to know is this package from gla better than the total liquid fert i bought from plantedaquarium.com? and do i still need root tabs?

·
Registered
82 Posts
light is an aquaticlife dual t5 ho fixture with 1x6500k and 1xroseaette bulb on for 8hrs/day.

also i want to know is this package from gla better than the total liquid fert i bought from plantedaquarium.com? and do i still need root tabs?
Your problem is too much light with no CO2. I don't think the fertilizers will help with your algae problem much but I don't think it would hurt either.

·
Registered
927 Posts
pps pro

I have been using the pps pro from GLA for some time now. I don't use root tabs and my plants are doing great. BUT , I do inject pressurized co2 @ 30ppm.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
If you can get the light three inches up more it will work.
That light level needs CO2. Reducing it to 7 hrs may help some.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can get the light three inches up more it will work.
That light level needs CO2. Reducing it to 7 hrs may help some.

yea the light has stands that hold it a good 5 to 6 inches from water surface. i've decided to cut my light time to 6.5hrs/day. its gonna be a few months before i can buy co2.:iamwithst

1 - 9 of 9 Posts