The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep losing shrimps for unknown reasons (my water tests perfect in every aspect) i'm on the verge of taking out all the plants, relocating my shrimp into a cycling 8g and dosing my 29g with meds and starting from scratch. this is driving me insane! i have two nano tanks with shrimp and NO deaths. what the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what would you do?

tank in question:

·
Registered
338 Posts
looks good but whats perfect? would you mind posting what your parameters are and everything else?

how would you know what meds to dose if you dont know whats wrong?
ammonia- 0
nitrites- 0
nitrates- 0
kh- 5
gh- sort of unknown
ph- 7.8 (yes sort of high)

i've seen one planeria in there and some sort of tiny white spec zooming around. i figured i'd dose some malachite green/formalin and fenben for good measure, water change after a few days and start from scratch.

i bought a ton of r/o water to swap out eventually but i'd rather not waste if it i'm just going to kill the shrimp anyhow.

i should also add, all my tanks read the same but this is the only one having troubles.

·
Registered
492 Posts
i was in the same boat as you couple weeks ago. I fought bacterial infection but still coming back and killing my shrimps.

i was going to give up on shrimp keeping and my friend told me to go bare bottom and throw out everyone except some moss and filters and kept the old water. which i did and since then, i see no death at all. to buff the water ph, i used an breeder box with aquasoil in it.

now i have 2 sponge filters, one HOB with chiller, hanging purigen (haha), and mosses.

if you really at your last resort, go bare bottom. :icon_smil

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
What shrimp are in it
red cherry & regular bee shrimp. i'm losing more cherries though. i had a successful molt from a bee and shes pregnant as of yesterday too. so its blowing my mind!

i was in the same boat as you couple weeks ago. I fought bacterial infection but still coming back and killing my shrimps.

i was going to give up on shrimp keeping and my friend told me to go bare bottom and throw out everyone except some moss and filters and kept the old water. which i did and since then, i see no death at all. to buff the water ph, i used an breeder box with aquasoil in it.

now i have 2 sponge filters, one HOB with chiller, hanging purigen (haha), and mosses.

if you really at your last resort, go bare bottom. :icon_smil
lol! i have so much money invested in my plants and really wanted the jungle look... thats why i was debating on switching them into the small tank until i clear up whatever is happening... i also have the hanging purigen LOL

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gh can be low for cherries and fine for crs. It wouldn't affect them immediately, but over time. Any way you can check for that?
i tried with drops from my lfs but they must have been old bc it never changed, three of us tried..

so i got the dip stick and it was on the higher end of the color range. i think i posted a pic of it in the water parameter section?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
your nitrites look to have a bit of pink to them so im going to jump out on a limb and say its a cycle issue maybe. but strips are know for wrong readings due to bleeding from pad to pad.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Some problems here :(

ammonia- 0
nitrites- 0
nitrates- 0
kh- 5
gh- sort of unknown
ph- 7.8 (yes sort of high)

i've seen one planeria in there and some sort of tiny white spec zooming around. i figured i'd dose some malachite green/formalin and fenben for good measure, water change after a few days and start from scratch.

i bought a ton of r/o water to swap out eventually but i'd rather not waste if it i'm just going to kill the shrimp anyhow.

i should also add, all my tanks read the same but this is the only one having troubles.
What are your temps? These params are at the high end of their comfort zone. It would make sense to bring those parameters back into average ranges. How they are acclimated or how they they were handled prior to reaching your tank have influence on their survival as well. Transitioning to R/O needs to be gradual else you'd risk premature molting resulting in deaths as well.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
your nitrites look to have a bit of pink to them so im going to jump out on a limb and say its a cycle issue maybe. but strips are know for wrong readings due to bleeding from pad to pad.
ehh yeah i do the drops for the others, i just couldn't get them to work for GH. everything is firmly zero and has been for a long time.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some problems here :(

What are your temps? These params are at the high end of their comfort zone. It would make sense to bring those parameters back into average ranges. How they are acclimated or how they they were handled prior to reaching your tank have influence on their survival as well. Transitioning to R/O needs to be gradual else you'd risk premature molting resulting in deaths as well.
around 70-72 i have two that had been at a lfs for a long time and they don't seem to have any problems, some came from a guy locally that just wanted to get rid of his cherries and it seems to be those passing away i think... also got a few from another store (all of the bee shrimps) and for the most part i don't see any problems with them.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I had a problem with losing shrimp during molting. I hid a clamshell ($0.10 from the lfs) under a rock where they could get to it. The deaths all stopped. I had a ton of MTS in the tank with the shrimp.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a problem with losing shrimp during molting. I hid a clamshell ($0.10 from the lfs) under a rock where they could get to it. The deaths all stopped. I had a ton of MTS in the tank with the shrimp.
the clamshell for hiding or the calcium? they have plenty of hiding spots so that can't be an issue.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Calcium, I figured that the MTS were sucking up a lot of calcium from the water. Remember that hardness is from a mixture of mostly calcium and magnesium. You can have hard water in your testing and still be short in calcium. Its unusual but can happen.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Calcium, I figured that the MTS were sucking up a lot of calcium from the water. Remember that hardness is from a mixture of mostly calcium and magnesium. You can have hard water in your testing and still be short in calcium. Its unusual but can happen.
well i do have MTS and ramshorns in there... i got some cuttlebone the other day per someone saying that could be my problem too, but i have high PH already and everything out there raises it more.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.