The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm kinda new to planted aquariums. I inherited my brothers 29 gallon fish tank from him, he didnt want to take care of it anymore(didnt really have time). I'm interested in doing a planted aquarium of sorts, nothing hard to maintain though.

Heres two pictures of it right now.

As of right now it has an angel fish in it and three yellow tetras I bought the other day. I also bought one plant just to see how it would do, a bronze wendtii, so far it seems to be living. :red_mouth

I know I will have to change the substrate out on it, right now its just some black gravel. Are the river rocks in the tank bad for it?

Right now the tank is at

pH 7.2
Ammonia <.025
Nitrite <.1??
Temp is about 78

I have a Magnum 330 canister filter I got from my dad today, would it be better than the filter I have on the back of the aquarium now? Its just a regular filter with a piece of foam for a filter.

The lighting is just a plain 20W. I'm planning on getting better lighting in the aquarium.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I know I will have to change the substrate out on it, right now its just some black gravel. Are the river rocks in the tank bad for it?
They're not necessarily 'bad', but most people prefer to use a nutrient rich plant substrate. Flourite is a good one to start out with, IMO.

I have a Magnum 330 canister filter I got from my dad today, would it be better than the filter I have on the back of the aquarium now? Its just a regular filter with a piece of foam for a filter.
I would use the Magnum. HOB (hang on back) filters are fine, but most people prefer canisters because they are easier to clean and tend to filter the water better.

A 29 gallon is a little small for an angelfish.

If you're interested in some easy-to-grow plants, i have some anubias, java moss, and some stem plants that i can send to you free of charge as long as you pay $7 for shipping. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum!

They're not necessarily 'bad', but most people prefer to use a nutrient rich plant substrate. Flourite is a good one to start out with, IMO.
Yea thats what I have been looking into. Seems I would need about 3 bags for 3"

I would use the Magnum. HOB (hang on back) filters are fine, but most people prefer canisters because they are easier to clean and tend to filter the water better.
Yea, thats is what I thought. Im going to go by walmart tomorrow and buy a sheet of foam. One of the gaskets in the filter is beyond old.

A 29 gallon is a little small for an angelfish.
Yea, it was my mothers idea when my brother had the tank...

If you're interested in some easy-to-grow plants, i have some anubias, java moss, and some stem plants that i can send to you free of charge as long as you pay $7 for shipping. Let me know if you're interested.
Sure! If you want. I just dont want you to go out of your way too much. I have been looking into some Java moss. I'm planning on attaching some to the driftwood in the tank.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Sure! If you want. I just dont want you to go out of your way too much. I have been looking into some Java moss. I'm planning on attaching some to the driftwood in the tank.
I could probably ship it out tuesday morning.
PM sent! :proud:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

re arranged it today, looks better I think. It will look awesome with some moss growing on the driftwood. :D

I also got my canister filter fixed, it needed a new gasket for it. The one it had in it was foam, just so happens that a gasket from a water hose works perfect for the discharge. haha

EDIT: dont make fun of my "lighting" if you could even call it that. That is with all of the lights off in the room.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
HAHAHA.......Nice lighting! :hihi: Nice progress with the tank though!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Actually, that size tank is fine for an angel or two, as long as they aren't superveils lol. I've had superveil breeding pairs that had to have a really tall tank so they could move around comfortably. But it is standard to keep a breeding pair in a 20 gallon tank (with no tankmates, of course) This one looks fine though. It just doesn't leave a lot of options for other fish, since the large angel does create a big bioload.

He's a nice looking angelfish. Good wide fins.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got some more plants today. :D

I also bought some stuff to do diy CO2 today, should I do it or will I just grow alge with my lighting?

Also should I attach the anubias to a rock?

EDIT: I also too the hood off of it, just have the light sitting on top of the tank right now. Should let more light in right?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Nice progress! It would be Ok to attach the anubias to a rock, but it would do better on the driftwood. Also, having no hood will let in more light. You probably should'nt add DIY Co2, because as you said it will cause algae. I add DIY Co2 to my 20g with 15watts of lighting, and I got a huge hair algae break-out over night. Hope that helps a little!

Regards,
Jake

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Re arranged some things in the tank. Attached the Anubias to the driftwood and what not. I have been running DIY co2 for the past two days now. Everything is in check so far, fish seem to be tolerating it. The stem plants are starting to grow roots also.

I ordered some flourite today and a bottle of flourish excel. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok tomorrow I get my new substrate in, flourite. :D

What im planning on doing is putting the fish and plants into a 7 gallon bucket with an air stone. They will be alright wont they?

I'm going to drain the water into my garbage can with a fresh bag in it, i'm planning on putting the same water back into the tank. Im going to let it siphon back into until it is about half full, less kicking the dust up. Then probably pump the rest back in.

For the old gravel im just going to put in another bucket for the time being.
Ill be cleaning the flourite REALLY well before I put in the tank also.
Anyone see anything wrong with what im planning on doing?

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Very nice! The new plants look great. :thumbsup:

Once that java moss attaches to the wood, it will grow like a weed - so you should have plenty in a month or so to trim off and tie to the rest of the wood.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice! The new plants look great. :thumbsup:

Once that java moss attaches to the wood, it will grow like a weed - so you should have plenty in a month or so to trim off and tie to the rest of the wood.
yup :biggrin:

check out the green on the tops, all new growth on them. I moved the blyxa japonica on the edge of the tank so they will get light from the window. They seem to be doing better. Before the end of the leaves was brown kinda. The sunset hygrophelia are finally starting to root, I can see roots coming off of the stem going into the substrate.

Another question, how many more lemon tetras would you guys add to the tank without overstocking it? My LFS sells them for 2.00 a piece.

EDIT: I have been leaving the light on for 15 hours a day, do you guys see any detrimental effects with this? I have zero alge in the tank. Its only 20watts. :(

·
Registered
419 Posts
As long as algae doesn't show up I don't see a problem. Technically you could have the lights on 24/7 if you have no algae growth, but it would not be good for your fish.

Personally I'd stick closer to 12 hours, though. Right now I'm running mine on 10.5 hours.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Flourite :D

I ordered two bags, I almost ordered 3. Two bags was enough. This stuff was a pain to clean, its still a little bit dusty inside.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts