The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Het all,
Im new to plants but not fish tanks. As of right now I have a 75g with african cichlids, with some java fern and anubis. Lighting is 2 48'' lights. My problems are my plants are turning brown. Please help im new

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its sand and the lights are a marineland double light just sitting on top a glass top it does seam to have some algae on the leaves. I put in some tetra florapride. I don't really know anything about water plants but im good with plants outside the tank lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I can see there iis brown algea and seems to be forming a hole in the anubus and the java has a dark green base (lower leaves) gets lighter at the top the brown tips, got them with the brown
bulds I think a year old

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
neither of those plants should be buried like they are is part of why they are doing poorly. Look up the stats on those and you'll see what you need to do.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
okay im now to this so how do i tie down the plant w/o buring it can i just place a rock on it?
could i let them floot till they get better?

Purple substrate....:) They aren't root feeders. Just tie them to a small piece of your shells with some fishing line. Just place them on top of the substrate. That's all you need.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep, the rhizomes are buried on all the plants. Pull up! You can tie down (as suggested) or also bury only the roots in the crayola, keep the horizontal rhizome above the play sand. Hey, you get bonus points for creative colored sand.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay I did what you told me I liftted the plants. But I haven't made it to get any string so I put some very small pebble on them for now and in the tank I replaced the java fern with some amazonicus, its supposed to be planted did my research this time my thing is I m iin a bind with the fish in the tank these plants came as cuttings(roots and inch of stems) how long should it take for the to grow 6 inches I'm uusing them as a blind since they are breeding and can get very aggressive

O and when I got them they stunk bad is this normal or could it be fertilizer?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.