The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here. I got the link to The Planted Tank from someone on the BettaChris forum. I looked into getting plants for my aquarium and used this site to identify the "pretty" ones I purchased. I own a 6g eclipse tank with 2 female Betta's in it, and a 10g tank that I am using to raise my Betta fry in.

I purchased (about 10 weeks ago) some Tropical Hornwort Ceratophyllum submersum and Carolina Fanwort
Cabomba caroliniana from Petco. I got no advice on how to care for these plants (nor was I told to wash them out before I added them to my 10g Betta Fry tank. After loosing about 20 fry (only had 38 to start out with), I cleaned everything including taking the metal binding off of the lower stems. I found two "creepy crawlies" in the tank...come to find out, they were a nymph (or something) that is very carnivorous (identified on bettachrisfishforum)...I don't mean to "advertise", so please don't take it that way.

My plants are dying. I have added an iron fertilizer that Petco recommended, and it helped a little, but the lower portion of the "stems" are still dying. I have since lost all of the fry (which I believe the dying plants were part of the cause). I have searched the internet on plant care, and have found none. I have a green thumb when it comes to non-aquatic plants, but here, I am coming up short.

The new growth on the Carolina Fanwort
Cabomba caroliniana is bright green. The parts that are not "new" growth, but is not "old" growth, is turning brown at the edges. The Tropical Hornwort Ceratophyllum submersum, turned brown except for the stem. It is starting to grow back, but now the stems are dying.

I don't know if I should leave them in the tank (conditioning a new sponge filter) or if I should put them in a seperate container with fresh "treated" water with more fertilizer?!

Can anyone help me, please?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Without knowing more about your tank parameters I sincerely suspect that you don't have enough light. Successful planted tanks, like reef aquariums, are actually a fairly specialized niche in the fish/aquarium hobby. If you really want to get into it, Rex's guide is a pretty good place to start. It'll give you most all the basics without having to dig through umpteen gazillion posts here. After you have the basics you'll be better able to ask specific questions. That said, lower portions of plants turning brown and dying like that are as I mentioned quite often a symptom of not enough light.

And yes, you're correct, the dying plants quite likely created an ammonia spike that killed your babies :(. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the norm to raise most fry like this in a bare bottom tank until they're old enough to sex and jar?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you are correct...My tank is bare bottomed...sorry for not mentioning that. I am not sure if the Cabomb can be a floating plant, or does it have to be "planted". As I said in my post, No advice from the petco employee). I have a corner filter, a sponge filter (not yet conditioned/seasoned)I had trouble finding one. I had a heater, but it was inadequate once I added the full 10g when the fry were 4/5 weeks old. I run the lights (got tank at walmart) 24/7, so I don't know if that was enough light...It came with light bulbs also, so I don't know what the watts are. I am not new to fish, but I am with plants. The only others that I have had, were the bulbs that you get from walmart, and I killed those also.

All help is appreciated. I will look into Rex's guide.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Pretty simple.

Stems rotting is almost always a sign of insufficient light. Seeing as how the standard Wal*Mart 10 gallon tank will at best come with a 15 watt light it's really easy to diagnose that you don't have enough light.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty simple.

Stems rotting is almost always a sign of insufficient light. Seeing as how the standard Wal*Mart 10 gallon tank will at best come with a 15 watt light it's really easy to diagnose that you don't have enough light.
I read your link when Rosehawke posted...Thank you. Until I can get efficient light, can I put the plants in a smaller container (like a jar) in a window? The plants did not cost a lot, but I'd hate to loose what I have.

Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correction...got plants from Petsmart, not Petco.

I am going to try the jar, but only leave it in the window for an hr or so.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Copied from Petco's site

"Coralife Mini Compact Fluorescent 50/50 Bulb:
Designed for use where space is limited but powerful lighting is desired. A single ten watt Mini Compact Fluorescent gives the same output as a 50 watt incandescent bulb. Self-ballasted, low operating temperature bulb fits a standard medium base."

Are these any good for my plants?...small aquariums?...6g (single bulb) and 10g (dual bulbs)? I don't know if my "hoods" can be modified for the "special" bulbs(kit), and I don't have the money to purchase "the right hood". I am saving up for a 120g, with UV sterilizer, and a (don't remember the name) canaster filter. I am purchasing slowly, so I can have everything I need to start the tank correctly.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
If your hood has incandescent bulbs then go to Wal*Mart. In their pet section they have some inexpensive CF bulbs that work quite well. The 50/50 bulbs won't help you a lot.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great, Thank You...I'll get those ASAP!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Walmart in my area does not carry CF lights anymore. I ended up ordering some off the internet. Emailed the "owner" to make sure it is what I wanted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts