The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a 55. I have about 2.5 wpg on the tank and a pressurized co2 system. I put in sms substrate. I added plants about a week ago and they are fine but not looking as nice as they did when i added them. What all do I need to be doing?

·
Registered
206 Posts
What kinda plants you have? Sounds like you have everything you need for beautiful plants. Maybe the only thing I see missing is the Patience nutrient. Unless the plants were sourced from similar water conditions they need a little time to adapt.

Hi from Tempe. :)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
hyrumbradshaw said:
What all do I need to be doing?
LOL That's a bit vague of a question, don't you think? It's hard to answer that. Maybe you should tell us more information, like what kind of lighting you have, how much CO2 you're adding, which plants you added, that sort of thing.

I guess the best way to answer your question is, "Giving us more details so we can offer useful advice." ;)

Welcome to TPT by the way! :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
The plants could just be getting used to their new environment. I've had a least two instances in the immediate past of plants thriving at first, then looking very unhealthy, then a very strong comeback.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont know what kind of plants i have in there :) I have not gotten my drop checker yet so I am not sure how my co2 levels are but in the bubble counter it is about 1- 1.5 bubbles per second. I have not dosed any ferts yet, as Im not quite sure what to dose. My nitrates are at about 10 ppm and my ammonia is a little high at around 10 ppm also.
I know i have some ricci in there and it looks like its doing Really good. also some java moss which looks like its getting a gray fuzz on it. I have some dwarf hair grass which looks the same. The leafy plants are the ones that dont look as good. I am guessing that maybe they are just getting used to the new tank???

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Chances are the problem lies somewhere in the midst of you not knowing exactly how much CO2 there is, and having not dosed at all. You definitely should begin a regular fert routine, and you should crank up the CO2 as well. At least until you get your crop checker. You don't have any fish in the tank, right? So no worries about killing any fish. But 1-1.5 bps is a pretty low rate for a 55g.

Also you should tell us what kind of filtration you have. For all we know, you're using a nanofilter or something. ;)

It's very possible the plants are just getting used to the tank. Some pictures would be helpful, I suppose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts