The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for low growing, carpeting ground cover for my 2.5 gal nano. Consider this a low light, low tech tank. Also, I'm new to the planted world. I've been doing quite well keeping my fake plants in my S/A tank happy though:icon_wink

This is the run down right now...
lighting: 40w GE plant light in a desk lamp
substrate: florite with a little sand for appearance
fauna: 1 dwarf puffer and a few snails (pond and MTS)

My LFS doesn't have a lot of plant life in stock, so I'm going to have to go to the owner with specifics to get what I want. He specializes in African cichlids and SW fish, the plants are just there for the occaisional buyer.

remember, this tank is small and I need a plant that stays low.

oh, do you know of anything that will toss shoots up to the surface with some kind of lilly-like leaf that will work in my tank? I like the idea of floaters and the stalks running up the water column and may want something similar if it will stay small.

thanks!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Going through my, I'd suggest HC, Elatine triandra, a Marsilea species, or some mosses that you can keep down by cutting them (say, Fissidens fontanus could be cool attached to small stones/ wood). Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Probably the easiest would be a Marselia. And the minuta species is about the smallest Marselia. Grows easily in low light, albeit slowly. Very hardy too.

If it was bigger than nana, I might suggest Brazilian pennywort for the lily like floater. But it grows fast and needs a bigger tank. Young starts would look OK, if you have busy scissors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts