The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(First idk what channel this is supposed to be so mods or admins move it if its not in the right area)

2 gallon tank details- 2 gallon planted 8 x 8 x 8 aquarium with a hob filter, 8.0 ph, 30 gh, 5 kh
7 gallon tank details- 7 gallon planted 12 x 12 x 12 aquarium with corner filter, 7.6 ph, 16 gh, 3-4 kh

Now, my mom got a dwarf frog for the 2 gallon tank we have. I felt bad and upgraded it to my 7 gallon which has 3 ricefish, however I was planning to put some stone cats in there. Thing is I cant rehome it or get another tank bc my parents. Now I'm trying to decide weather to put it back in its 2 gallon and catfish or leave it in my 7 and not get the catfish.

Idk what to do so I wanna know what you guys would do

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wouldn't want to stock anything smaller than 5 gal. A single frog might be ok in a planted 2 gal, but I probably wouldn't do it. I think I'd add a pair of cats to the 7gal and leave the frog in there. Just stay on top of the water conditions. Somebody will know better than I do though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't want to stock anything smaller than 5 gal. A single frog might be ok in a planted 2 gal, but I probably wouldn't do it. I think I'd add a pair of cats to the 7gal and leave the frog in there. Just stay on top of the water conditions. Somebody will know better than I do though.
I also forgot to mention I already have 3 ricefish in there. And the other thing is that both of those animals are social, so thats another problem

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Wouldn't keep the cats with the frog, just in the side of caution. True dwarf claw frog, singular, in a heavily planted could be ok if you keep the tank maintained leaving the 7 open for your cats. Is there any convincing the parents to replace the 2 gallon with a 5 gallon?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn't keep the cats with the frog, just in the side of caution. True dwarf claw frog, singular, in a heavily planted could be ok if you keep the tank maintained leaving the 7 open for your cats. Is there any convincing the parents to replace the 2 gallon with a 5 gallon?
Sadly no chance of upgrading or getting another tank, but I really like your idea! I try to keep the gh lower in that tank, but the only way of lowering it to a normal level would be to take out the rock (which my dad wouldnt do)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Considering the size of a 2 gallon you could probably get away with using a turkey baster every day, every couple days and removing waste/ debris and replacing the water removed if you're heavily planted. Just make sure to keep a lid to avoid him spazzing and throwing himself out of the tank. Keep the water level down a little.

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
321 Posts
I would do as pinkploop suggested. Frog in 2 gal. You did specify planted or not? If it's planted you could keep 2, and do water changes every other day. Personally that's what I would do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would do as pinkploop suggested. Frog in 2 gal. You did specify planted or not? If it's planted you could keep 2, and do water changes every other day. Personally that's what I would do.
Its planted but there is a planted part and a part where its open, and I will probably get him a friend

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Considering the size of a 2 gallon you could probably get away with using a turkey baster every day, every couple days and removing waste/ debris and replacing the water removed if you're heavily planted. Just make sure to keep a lid to avoid him spazzing and throwing himself out of the tank. Keep the water level down a little.
What does "heavily planted" exactly mean? Half of the tank is filled with plants tho and floating ones

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
321 Posts
I dunno.... good question....

I guess I understood it to mean most of the tank filled with plants. So I guess theb2 gal would work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dunno.... good question....

I guess I understood it to mean most of the tank filled with plants. So I guess theb2 gal would work.
Ok! Thanks for all your help!

(First idk what channel this is supposed to be so mods or admins move it if its not in the right area)

2 gallon tank details- 2 gallon planted 8 x 8 x 8 aquarium with a hob filter, 8.0 ph, 30 gh, 5 kh
7 gallon tank details- 7 gallon planted 12 x 12 x 12 aquarium with corner filter, 7.6 ph, 16 gh, 3-4 kh

Now, my mom got a dwarf frog for the 2 gallon tank we have. I felt bad and upgraded it to my 7 gallon which has 3 ricefish, however I was planning to put some stone cats in there. Thing is I cant rehome it or get another tank bc my parents. Now I'm trying to decide weather to put it back in its 2 gallon and catfish or leave it in my 7 and not get the catfish.

Idk what to do so I wanna know what you guys would do
Thank you everyone for helping out. I think I will put the frog back into the 2 gallon with 1 more friend all leave it at that. Again thank you!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Late responding back, my apologies. Normally "heavily planted", to me, is over 60% of available space is planted. "Moderately planted" being 30%-60%. "Lightly planted" 30% or less. These terms don't have a strict % rate, though, and these are just my opinions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.