The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I ordered this dell mini 10 (for portability and stuff) with Ubuntu. http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/note...=19&~oid=us~en~29~laptop-inspiron-10_anav_2~~
It should be here Tuesday! :)
I got the one with Ubuntu because I have heard good things about Ubuntu, they supposedly don't get any viruses (to my knowledge) and Dell wanted $99 for Windows 7 that would include Word, so I went with Ubuntu.
What are your opinions on Ubuntu? I know it's a little late to ask because I've already ordered it (lol) but I remember a thread over the summer about Ubuntu on here and heard good things.

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
I got the one with Ubuntu because I have heard good things about Ubuntu, they supposedly don't get any viruses (to my knowledge)
This is true but if you transfer a file to say windows pc it can carry over the virus.
A virus does not care what file it is attached what is likes is the operation system.
For something the size of your dell you should be easy for you. You no longer need to tar files or use gzip in CLI to install software.

I am a PC Tech. I have my MCP and working on my MCSE. All I have to say is, It's Linux!!! You can't lose!!!
MCSE better check because unless you are getting certified in Server 2003 which is old. There is no such thing as MCSE in server 2008 which is called MCITP.

Also MCP let me guess you passed XP Pro cert?

·
GEEK
664 Posts
We have about 7-8 laptops in our household. All, including our server, have Linux (with different distributions) loaded on them, with the exception of one laptop which is partitioned and dual-booted with Linux Mint on one side and XP on the other side. The only reason we have Windows on that one laptop is for software (Quicken, SPSS) that only run on Windows. We are big advocates of open source programs. For the most part, there is no use for Microsoft (no offense conduct) anymore. And yes, it is so nice not to have to PURCHASE antivirus software. Congratulations on your purchase. You'll have to let us know how your Mini does. We've been eyeing that laptop too.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
This is true but if you transfer a file to say windows pc it can carry over the virus.
A virus does not care what file it is attached what is likes is the operation system.
For something the size of your dell you should be easy for you. You no longer need to tar files or use gzip in CLI to install software.

MCSE better check because unless you are getting certified in Server 2003 which is old. There is no such thing as MCSE in server 2008 which is called MCITP.

Also MCP let me guess you passed XP Pro cert?
You are correct, I received my XP cert a few years ago. MCSE is a commonly used acronym(One I use since Technically, I have). Yes, MCITP is what I am going for. Which I will have, hopefully, in 2 weeks.(Wish me luck, one more test)(not that I have to prove my credentials). Just giving my thoughts. Now at least, everyone knows the difference between MCSE and MCITP. (Which doesn't matter)

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Thanks for the info!
Does MCP stand for masters in computer programming or something?
(I have no Idea what I'm tanking about :hihi:)
I wish it meant master in anything! haha

MCP= Microsoft certifiend profesional
MCSE= Microsoft certified systems engineer
MCITP= Microsoft Certified IT Professional

·
Registered
302 Posts
idk about all the technical jargon but my good friend does hardware support for dell he's got a mini 10 and we both have mini9's there a great little comp i opted for the 9 because of the solid state hard drive and i could be wrong but i think the memory or the processor in the 10 is unchangeable but ubuntu is really cool my buddy runs it on his mini9 reminds me of an iphone

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
there is no use for Microsoft (no offense conduct) anymore.
Well I don't know to many companies running Domain Controllers, DHCP and DNS servers with Linux system or workstations and notebooks with linux. If I went in to work tomorrow and said hey we could save $44,000 if we switched to linux and not upgraded to Windows 7 they would think I got hit in the head over the weekend with something.

Microsoft is still over 80% of the workplace.

You are correct, I received my XP cert a few years ago. MCSE is a commonly used acronym(One I use since Technically, I have). Yes, MCITP is what I am going for. Which I will have, hopefully, in 2 weeks.(Wish me luck, one more test)(not that I have to prove my credentials). Just giving my thoughts. Now at least, everyone knows the difference between MCSE and MCITP. (Which doesn't matter)
Good luck with your testing and achieving the MCITP. After that then you can go after the MCM. Which I heard if freaking crazy cert. rumor is to get MCM you have to do internship with a current MCM.

I changed my ways right now and getting all the security info I can get in. Would like to work on my CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional).

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Well I don't know to many companies running Domain Controllers, DHCP and DNS servers with Linux system or workstations and notebooks with linux. If I went in to work tomorrow and said hey we could save $44,000 if we switched to linux and not upgraded to Windows 7 they would think I got hit in the head over the weekend with something.

Microsoft is still over 80% of the workplace.

Good luck with your testing and achieving the MCITP. After that then you can go after the MCM. Which I heard if freaking crazy cert. rumor is to get MCM you have to do internship with a current MCM.

I changed my ways right now and getting all the security info I can get in. Would like to work on my CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional).

Thanks! It all depends on where I plan on going in the company I am working with. Besides that, I have been moving more on the Server Ops sides...... So who knows...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.