The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you stock a 20 long? I'm just looking to see opinions, I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing with it, but I love fish from the amazon, I've just never had a tank this small before, so I don't really know what fish would go great in it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
well laura suggested rams or kribs for me as I used to have a huge african cichlid tank. You might like them, but Im pretty sure they are South American, off the top of my head. They are small and colorful, but also not as aggressive or destructive as Africans. I've read that they can be housed with many community fish just fine.

The smaller fish I personally like are many tetras such as neons, rummynose, lemon's and white clouds. Cory cats are fun to watch as a bottom feeder and come in a variety of colors and patterns. And you cant go wrong with O-cats! Hatchet fish tend to stay near the top, but with a 20l, I might just stick with medium and bottom feeders.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The smallest I had for a tank with south american fish was 33... which isn't too much bigger than a 20, but I wasn't sure if I could keep all of the same kinds or not.

I love rams, I was hoping I could get a pair of german blues... and I love cory cats, ottos, and cardinal tetras. I love love love angelfish, but 20 gals is too small for an angelfish =[

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd pick a theme/region/favorite fish to start with, and build the tank around there.

Kitty already beat me to my first suggestions LOL

Some more off-the-beaten-path options would be a tank for a colony of wild-type bettas (http://smp.ibcbettas.org/index.html some species you can keep males and females together in a colony), or check out the CARES program and consider having a tank devoted to helping preserve some endangered or threatened species http://www.carespreservation.com/.

·
Registered
390 Posts
A group of Heterandria Formosa, they're super small, maybe 20 of them. And a few otos and some amano shrimp. The Heterandria Formosa are livebearers, but they wont take over a tank like guppies will, they reproduce slowly. I wouldn't hesitate to keep 50 of them in a 20 gallon because the biggest ones will barely make it to 1 inch long.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I'd get a WHACK load of micro rasboras.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Your ideas for this tank sound pretty good. I wanted to do the same thing in my 20 long. Ended up going with 11 cardinals, 4 panda corys, 2 habrosus cories, 2 sparkling gouramis, and a few cpds my brother had no place for when he moved. :/
For you it really depends on the ratio of fish you want to eachother. Do you want more cardinals or more cories? As for the rams, I'd say you would want to max out at either a pair or 3. Pair would be better, but I've seen 3 in a 20 done before. As for cories it also depends what kind you get. You could fit a bunch of habrosus, hastatus, or pygmaeus in there, but youd be more limited with stocking on the bigger species (obviously)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Clown killies :D, Although that would olny work if you diddn't want any shrimp/ smaller fish as well.... (and have a lid)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts