The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything was going great for several weeks. My plants were lush and growing right before my eyes. Then the water started turning green and I can't get rid if it. I kept the light off for a week but didn't do a total black out. I then did a 90% WC, this gave me 2 weeks before I couldn't see 4" inside the tank. Since then I have done 50% WC every 5 days. The tank is so cloudy after 3 days I can't see 12 inches.

I don't know where to start and about ready to break it down and go plastic plants!

Please help, I really do not want to throw in the towel.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Why not actually try a total black out? Has worked for me, and many others...

Or you could try the willow branch trick. Cut off a willow tree branch, stick the cut end into the tank, and it'll suck up nutrients and starve the green water.

Or there's always the more expensive route of buying a UV sterilizer.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little history...

I started this tank on Dec 12, 2013.

Original water parameters and equipment:
  • RODI
  • CO2, approx 25 to 30 ppm
  • 2.5 WPG t8 shop lights
  • PPS PRO Ferts
  • 81 deg F
  • Fishless cycling at 1.00 ppm ammonia
  • Completed fishless cycle approx. Feb 1st

Upon completion of fishless cycle, I added 8 fish over the period of a week.

I added a more powerful light fixture to help bring out the red in some of my plants. A t5HO that has 2.0, 4.0, and 6.0 wpg modes. I used 4.0 mode.

I added aeration to keep water more favorable for my fish.

About 2 weeks after adding the fish and aeration the water started to cloud up. After the water clouded up enough I stopped aeration and moved fish back to their original tank.

Since then I have been plagued with Green Water!

I have reduced the lighting to 2.0 wpg and stopped adding fertilizer.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not actually try a total black out? Has worked for me, and many others...

Or you could try the willow branch trick. Cut off a willow tree branch, stick the cut end into the tank, and it'll suck up nutrients and starve the green water.

Or there's always the more expensive route of buying a UV sterilizer.
I have been doing some research and a total black out is probably going to happen this weekend.

I have an old Marineland HOT with a pleated micron filter that I've read that will remove the algae that comprises the green water. I am missing a couple parts though, so I either have to rig it up or order the missing parts: intake strainer, clips on intake, out flow tubes.

I have looked into a diatom filter as well as a UV sterilizer. My question is, do they work and if so, which ones work?

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Just get a UV. It will clear up in a few days and the water will be so clear you'll have to check to see if there is in in fact water in it.

NH3 release is usually the reason for GW. Your adding NH3 and then running lights to help the plants grow? It usually takes a few weeks but not surprised you have GW.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
As stated above a UV sterilizer will fix your problem. I run them on all my aquariums and they work wonders!! Not only will it kill single cell algae it will kill and help prevent diseases and parasites. I buy mine from amazon they usually have some good deals. Depending on the size of your aquarium there are a few canister filters made by SunSun that have built in 9w sterilizer , I own one of these as well and it works great and save you from haveing to have yet something else plugged in.

White Product Liquid Font Gas

Gadget Audio equipment Font Auto part Cable

Automotive tire Gas Hood Office equipment Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
High light and,ferts all new tanks will face algae blooms sooner or later. Uv always stops mine and usually works within the first few hours. By the next morning your fish will look like they are floating

-Chris

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, it sounds like I shouldn't jump off the ledge just yet.

A UV sterilizer would work in a salt water tank too if the mood ever hit me to try salt water?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&pcatid=10824&ref=NA&subref=NA&cmpid=PPC-G-NA

So, for a 55 gallon tank the X3 would work? What about if I upgraded to a 90 or 125 gallon later?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9372&rel=1

Would this be the pump that you would suggest? I can't tell if the pre filter comes with it or not. the PM5 would match the 500 gallon output of the uv sterilizer.

So, I would just need the tubing and a pre filter.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
304 Posts
Amazon.com: SunSun HW-304B 5-Stage External Canister Filter with 9-watt UV Sterilizer, 525 GPH: Pet Supplies

Would this work? This would be cheaper and I would be able to have filtration in addition.
The sunsun 304b moves too much water and too quickly past the 9w sterilizer to be adequately efficient. It may still work, but it would take a long time.

I use a 9w Green Killing Machine and it works perfectly.

The Green Killing machine goes inside the tank and has its own pump. the water moves past the UV at the perfect rate. It took 24 hours to kill my algae bloom. I then took out the Green Killing Machine from the tank since it was't needed anymore. I haven't needed it again, but it's there if I ever do.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Amazon.com: SunSun HW-304B 5-Stage External Canister Filter with 9-watt UV Sterilizer, 525 GPH: Pet Supplies

Would this work? This would be cheaper and I would be able to have filtration in addition.
Yup that's the filter I was talking about, that one will have a lot of flow so keep that in mind, it's rated at 500+ GPH, there is a slightly smaller one on amazon as well, I own that one and run it on a 55 gallon and it keeps everything clean but have to put an elbow on the outflow because it was pushing all my substrate around but I still use it. I bet it would work amazingly well with a spray bar I just have not had time to make one yet. It's a strong filter and only has a 9W light so won't get as quick of results as you would on a standalone but it will do the trick and once it's gone it should be strong enough maintain a clean environment.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My wife likes the planted tank as much as I do and she has had it with the green water too. She is 1 million percent supportive of doing what we need to to do to rid our tank of this scourge!

Since we need a pump to supply water to the UV sterilizer we decided to get a canister filter. A canister filter has many advantages over a HOB, the question is, which one? I currently have a 55 gallon but will probably be upgrading to a 90, so can I get a filter that will do both effectively?

Here is what I am thinking of getting, what are the pros and cons as you see them.

As for the filter, here are my choices as I see them.

• Fluval 406 or 306
  • Marineland 360
  • Eheim Ultra G 160

The UV sterilizer

• Coral life turbo twist, either:
  • 3X 9 watt rated at 100 to 200 gph
  • 6X 18 watt rated at 200 to 400 gph

The question seems to me to match the UV to the filter.

I am leaning toward the Fluval 406 with the 6X 18 watt. What do I need to hook up the UV to the output of the filter? The Fluval has a 1/2" OD hose and the UV has a 5/8 or 3/4" barbed fitting. I'm not a plumber what will I need to hook them up?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I would go with the 9 watt sterilizer which will be plenty for your tank even if you upgrade to a 90. The filter and uv will both use 1/2" tubing but if you go with a different size tubing you will need a reducer to reduce the tubing to the size you need. With uv sterilizers you will need to match the flow rate that the sterilizer is rated for otherwise it won't do any good if the flow is too fast through the unit.

·
Registered
625 Posts
High light and,ferts all new tanks will face algae blooms sooner or later. Uv always stops mine and usually works within the first few hours. By the next morning your fish will look like they are floating

-Chris
Everybody always wants super fast plant growth , stop dosing ferts do some heavy water changes until the green water goes away.
Then after your tank is balanced start on a dosing regime that you can ajust to your tanks needs .

Or you can buy a uv, I have 2 uv lights collecting dust with a ballanced tank they are not needed.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Everybody always wants super fast plant growth , stop dosing ferts do some heavy water changes until the green water goes away.
Then after your tank is balanced start on a dosing regime that you can ajust to your tanks needs .

Or you can buy a uv, I have 2 uv lights collecting dust with a ballanced tank they are not needed.
Ah yes, the never ending pursuit of balance. What is that exactly? To me it can sometimes be a very narrow range of parameters in terms of plants, stock, layout which one might not want in their particular setup. It can be like walking a tightrope. I'd rather just use a UV and enjoy the view then do water changes that might or might not cure the GW. You don't necessarily need a UV, but if your having issues it's a win, win in terms of water clarity, fish health and you could even play in the mud a bit (rearranging things and substrate get's stirred up) and not have to worry again if the water is going to get green.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.