The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! It's been a while! I dropped off the face of the earth (errr, the face of TPT) after I had to go on special assignment for my day job for 6 months. That ended back in late December, and now that I have some free time and it's starting to get warmer, I think it's time I get back into the hobby!

Unfortunately, the maintenance on my 60P Riparium really suffered during that time, so its rather overgrown and incredibly dirty. I was thinking of tearing it down and doing something different. Not sure just what yet. I don't think I'll do another riparium, and I'm not sure if I should keep the artificial rock background or not. I suppose I'll take a look at some other 60P's and try to find some low-light inspiration!

Hopefully I'll be back to producing some cool pictures soon!

Oh yeah, and my most recent lens purchase has been keeping me rather busy as well...:D

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, okay, twist my arm ;) In case you were wondering, it's a Canon 600mm F4 IS, and I just bought the 1.4x III Teleconverter for it yesterday. Now, onto the pictures! But keep in mind I bought it in February, and this has been one of the coldest winters ever in New Jersey, so I haven't gotten any colorful shots and there haven't been any interesting or colorful animals and birds around (EXCEPT THE SNOWY OWLS!) since it's been so cold and just recently changed to spring. Even now, the grass is still brown and the trees are bare....

0EJP4953 by EJPNJ, on Flickr

0EJP5107 by EJPNJ, on Flickr

See it?

0EJP5621 by EJPNJ, on Flickr

How about now?

0EJP5625 by EJPNJ, on Flickr

0EJP5927 by EJPNJ, on Flickr

0EJP5881 by EJPNJ, on Flickr

0EJP6437-Edit-2-3 by EJPNJ, on Flickr

0EJP5430 by EJPNJ, on Flickr

0EJP5334 by EJPNJ, on Flickr

0EJP5481 by EJPNJ, on Flickr

0EJP7196-Edit by EJPNJ, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I really like the fox photos. VERY NICE!

When I saw that 600mm lens... I had to stop myself from drooling. I'm assuming that's the first version of the lens and not the II?

I do photography as my career and would love one of those lenses (one day). For what I shoot, it's very impractical. I'm assuming you shoot primarily wildlife?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love the fox pics! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! :)

I really like the fox photos. VERY NICE!

When I saw that 600mm lens... I had to stop myself from drooling. I'm assuming that's the first version of the lens and not the II?

I do photography as my career and would love one of those lenses (one day). For what I shoot, it's very impractical. I'm assuming you shoot primarily wildlife?
Yeah, its the first IS version, the one before the current II version that was recently released. I'll upgrade to the II eventually, but some tests showed the sharpness is very much the same, its just the reduced weight, better IS, and closer minimum focus distance, which will be a nice addition at some point.

And no, not at all! I'm actually a wedding photographer, but now that I have a day career that I went to school for with a nice salary, excellent benefits and a great schedule, I might ditch the wedding thing altogether and just focus on doing wildlife photography for fun and maybe some automotive stuff. Those are the two things that I always really wanted to do anyway. I really don't have a need to do weddings anymore, and if anything, it will probably hurt more than help come tax time...

I get you...unfortunately, this was sold few years ago for 6K. 500L f4 IS mark I. Needed the money and done with bird photography in NYC...

My bird photos collections....

http://www.oneimagingphotography.co...-York/20423868_rNsHcr#!i=1616516856&k=CD5Z93m
Nice pics! But yeah, I imagine bird photography would be rough in NYC. Its hard enough in New Jersey!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Thanks! :)

Yeah, its the first IS version, the one before the current II version that was recently released. I'll upgrade to the II eventually, but some tests showed the sharpness is very much the same, its just the reduced weight, better IS, and closer minimum focus distance, which will be a nice addition at some point.

And no, not at all! I'm actually a wedding photographer, but now that I have a day career that I went to school for with a nice salary, excellent benefits and a great schedule, I might ditch the wedding thing altogether and just focus on doing wildlife photography for fun and maybe some automotive stuff. Those are the two things that I always really wanted to do anyway. I really don't have a need to do weddings anymore, and if anything, it will probably hurt more than help come tax time...

Nice pics! But yeah, I imagine bird photography would be rough in NYC. Its hard enough in New Jersey!

NYC and NJ aren't that far apart. You are basically shooting the same common bird species. I figured that in my 3 years time shooting birds, I am pretty much done with them. Did you get that Snowy Owl shots at the Jones Beach?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts

It's nice having toys like that laying around to shoot what you really want to shoot outside of your main gig (which sounds like you'll be stepping away from weddings eventually). The longest lens I have is a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM. It gets the job done for what I need, and to be honest, I don't use it as often as I'd like to. I'll have to change that in the future.

How much of a difference is the minimum focus distance between the I and II version?

If you have a better career now, then step away from doing weddings. It'll be less of a head ache come tax season, but then again, you can always use that money to buy yourself some new toys as well!

If you do ever plan on selling the 600mm to upgrade to the II, let me know. If I have the money laying around, I'd purchase it in a heart beat.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.