The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been several years since I had an aquarium. A divorce and some hard times had me in a pinch and not very stable. But I have a solid living situation finally, and am back in the hobby head first. Just bought a rimless uns 20 gallon, and a twinstar 60b along with the uns controsoil. That's what I can afford at the moment, so I'm playing with hardscape right now. I have no idea what my long term goal is with this tank, I just got some stones and started playing around. I missed this hobby so much and am happy to be back in it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Those stones are epic, like monoliths. I think it's going to look pretty good by the time you are done!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, thanks so much for the feedback. I'm super excited to be back at it... I kept cichlids for years and years, 25 to be precise, and I joined this forum in my last few years in the hobby. I dont even remember my old sign in otherwise I'd be on that account, I'll look into it. I got into planted tanks like most people my age because of takashi amano, but I never see on up until I was in my early 30s, although I had been keeping and breeding cichlids, live bearers, Cory's, plecos, etc during the whole 25 years. I was very well known in the MFK forum group and have been to several events where folks like rusty wessel and Ad konings were speaking. I used to set up specifically "biotope" style aquariums. I used to regularly chat with Juan Miguel Artiga Azas to make sure I had an aquarium set up correctly, having these guys dig through their notes from their last visit I'm sure was annoying, but that's my level of dedication to the aquarium hobby. I find myself as a roommate, I will have the 20 gallon I have now, and probably a 7 gallon cube at some point and that will be the most I can keep... what better thing to do with two little tanks then plant them and dive deeper into the world of aquascaping? I feel like that art and design major guy from Australia who used to be on here is going to chime in soon and tell me to separate my thoughts into paragraphs :) I dont remember his name but that guy was amazing when I was setting up my old scapes....

Anyways.. I'm having a hard time finding all the plants I want from one place so I dont have to pay shipping from several different places.. I dont have a crazy list or anything... java fern trident, rotalla wallichii, cryptocoryne wendetii tropica, dhg, hydrocoytle Japan, pennatifida and some nice green stems is all... that's not too insane a request right? Idk anyone have any ideas of a place to source all those from one place? Sorry for the super long text, and all the name dropping, I love this hobby and am super excited to be back.

Regards, Anthony

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Tissue culture... I could check around the forum. I just want them all shipped at once so I can plant all at once.
My most recent experience with tissue cultures was with aquatic farmer through modern aquarium's custom bundles. I don't know if they have them for sales individually through modern aquarium but I think they are pretty easy to find through others vendors and I am very impressed with the quality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I planted yesterday, everything except the crypt. Tropica and the javafern trident is tissue culture. I was very pleased to find that a somewhat local shop had everything I wanted on my list and more on hand. So cool, Aquarium zen in seattle is a really amazing shop. I also picked up a few stems that I think would look great with the wallichii in the bg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ooops.. I also meant to add that the filter on there i just picked up until my oase thermo 100 gets here on the 8th. And I'll have this little nano filter so I can set up a little low tech tank in a few months. It's a dymax slim flo and is 30gph... I feel like that would be nice on one of the smaller cubes like a little shrimp tank or something. Just looking ahead ;). Thanks for viewing and I'll be posting pics as thing progress. I dont remember the two other stems I got, but they were common enough that they will be easily identifiable as they grow in.

Side shot of the scape from my bed. This little crypt cluster under this overhang is pretty exciting, I'm hoping the H. Japan grows around it nicely without overwhelming things... we will see I guess. Also I have repens all over the place, I just got it cause it was on sale, and I needed more plants. Also I've had it before and it's nice to work with. It will probably end up coming out and being used in the foreground of that nano cube I was talking about previously. But for now it can propagate and suck up nutrients to help outcompete algae and what not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alrighty.. just an update. It's been about a week since planting, a lot of the plants are showing signs of solid new growth switching from emersed to submerged growth nicely. Some on the other hand are just not showing signs of life or dying off all together.

I dont know how to flip the images... ugh. Anyways as you can see I added some dhg and some other stem.. I just really wanted to make sure I started out pretty heavily planted. But I have some heavy melting and some stems that aren't growing very fast at all... the wallichii is doing great which is exciting, but seeing it next to the reds in this stone, I'm not sure it's the best choice.

The javafern trident, and penitifida are both doing nothing at all except turning brown and looking like booty.

The crypt. Tropica is putting put a new leaf per plant, so that's nice... but the H. Sp japan almost completely melted. Theres a few holding on and I'm still holding out hope as they're one of my favorite along with the trident and the penitifida.

And lastly the dhg is sending out runners so I gave them a trim to promote more. Also the S. Repens is getting holes, more on that in a minute.

So... I havent dosed anything on this tank until today, I also only changed the water about 3 gallons a few days after set up. My logic, and maybe I should have researched first was, if aquarium soil leaches nutrients into the water column, why not leave them for a week before I dose and start my water changes to let the plants have as much as they need... well, that might have been why things are good in some areas and bad in others. I did a 40% water change this morning about 4 hours before my photo period. Dosed a little excel and fluval gro+, and added a little platy to help the cycling process. I'm hoping for better results over the next week, and will be moving to a better and more complete fertilizer regimen soon. This platy will help cycle this 60U and then when that's ready for fish it will move into my new project... a low tech fluval flex 15, until it is scaped, cycled and ready for whatever I plan on doing with that.

Anyways, sorry for the sideways pictures, I think it's because I took them on snap. Anyone who wants to add me there is more than welcome @arjulian253 ... I'll post an update in a week or so. Thanks for looking.

Regards, Anthony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.