The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some work on my aquarium the other day and I had the lid off my tank. I was using my new Satillite LED + light so I could see what I was doing. I knocked the light into the aquarium and like a bonehead I shoved my arm into the tank without thinking. The light was totally submerged. Surprisingly when I pulled it out it was still working. It worked for the remainder of the day but the next day it wouldn't turn on.

I'm lucky I didn't get fried when I shoved my arm in. There was a lady in my aquarium club that was working on her tank and she bumped the heater with a rock. She got electrocuted and her arm had to be amputated.

I've always tried to be cautious knowing her story but it was just a knee jerk reaction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Been their that's why I have every thing hooked into a surge protector. If there is a fault from the water it turns everything off. Assuming it's working correctly.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
You can get a GFCI adapter to plug right into a standard outlet. Definitely recommend. Give the Sat+ a couple days to dry. I've dunked mine more often than I'm willing to admit and it still works.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
106 Posts
That's pretty scary.. Just as I do with my cellphone when it gets wet, I would put it in some rice if you can. It absorbs water/moisture quite well.
However, You might need a lot of rice and you may never use it since the lights were submerged in aquarium water and its kind of germy/dirty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Ive dipped my t8 shop lights a few times, fortunately, nothings happened so far. Sucks its not working, I think its a waiting game. Wait a few days and see if it starts up again. If it does not, I guess its dead.

I was canoeing when I fell into the water. My cell got it but I took out the battery asap (was wet like everything) and I let the cell dry out for a day or two. It actually worked!!! This was not a smart phone though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Happened to me the other day when I was doing water change on my 8 gallon almost dropped one of my fugerays phew I swear my heart almost skipped a beat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
Thank God that you are ok! I've heard of submersible heaters breaking and electrocuting the person when they stuck their arm in. Remember, the fish aren't grounded.

GCFI everything within 6' of water. I have my aquarium on its own GCFI circuit breaker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
The little GFCI plug ins for the wall are great.

Make sure to get the "automatic" ones that will come back on after a power outage - not the manual ones you have to turn back on. Not a good plan when you're at work and the power is off for 2 minutes... and your tank is off for 6hrs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
That LED fixture runs on only 12 volts (I think as I've never actually bothered to look at what the output is on the adapter) so luckily you were never at any actual risk with it. Your point though is well taken.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top