1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bred crs and rcs before
but its my first time trying to breed crawfish
i bought 7 - 1inch white clawfish on aquabid and it coming on friday
whats the best size of aquarium for crawfish?
i have 10 20high 20long 40gal breeder tanks
and gonna put driftwood and plant :D
how long does it take to breed them?
if i keep 7babies together in one aquarium, is it hard to breed?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I don't know anything about breeding these but here are a couple of questions you'll want to get answered before you go too far into this. Do you know if they are territorial? Cannibalistic? Do they tolerate plants? (If I recall someone was posting recently about their white crayfish that had eaten and/or demolished huge quantities of plants, dunno if it's the same species.) Do they breed in captivity or were your animals caught in the wild?

In general for crayfish, they only inhabit the bottom of the tank, so you want the largest area you can afford for them. That's either the 20 long or the 40 breeder. I would be very reluctant to put 7 crayfish in a 10 gallon even if they were known for being docile. Give them places to hide (stones or wood to burrow under, small sections of pvc pipe to crawl into, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Having kept crayfish in my youth. They are very territorial, cannibalistic, and do a good number on plants unless it is one of the dwarf variety. They do breed in captivity but you need a lot of hides for more than 1 crayfish. Good luck

·
Registered
952 Posts
Tons and tons and tons of hiding places! My dwarf crayfish did very great alone in a 20 gallon with tons of PVC pipes to hide in. I also packed it with limestone rocks to promote strong exoskeletons and healthy molts. Then I moved them to a 30 gallon with driftwood and lots of plants and it doesnt look like they are doing so hot. Either way I think it would be fine. Hiding places is a big deal as they will kill each other but also need somewhere to breed.

·
Registered
736 Posts
just make sure the top of your tank is pretty well sealed...my 6 inch blue crayfish escaped one night...found him dead halfway across the livingroom the next morning. They're also pretty good hunters of small fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.