The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes it's true, been noticing my panda corys breeding so I scooped up 5 eggs and put them in a make shift breeder made out of Tupperware and stocking with lots of holes drilled into the Tupperware. Then 2 eggs turned white and fuzzy and so I got rid of them and was down to 3 eggs. Well just now I came in the room and could not find the eggs and much to my delight ... wee pandas 3 of them! I crushed up some flake food real fine and dropped a little bit in so I hope they eat. Does anyone think I should do something different about food? The breeder is in the main tank also rigged up in one corner. Wow!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Congrats!

Ahh, I'm pretty tired right now, so will come back and comment on fry care and foods later.

Do note that the fry don't need to be fed for the first couple of days while they absorb their yolk sac.

Still keep things (container from uneaten food) clean for the fry.

While the mature pandas are in the mood, you could do another cooler water change to trigger them to spawn again, to raise up some more fry.
Mind the already born fry though.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would love to show pic's but unfortunately I do not have a camera that would take a decent pic. Found 2 more eggs today and dropped them into the breeding net.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh my, they must be super cute. I once had my peppered corys breed, and had cute little cory kittens :) Congratulations and I wish them well!
Yes they look like little eyeballs swimming around:nerd: Trying to figure out what to move them to and when, and what is the best thing to feed them.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I had a cory only tank at the time, and mine just stayed in the tank with the parents. I did crush up food when I fed them, and they liked sinking foods, such as shrimp pellets. I think you could even use a gel food such as Repashy. I didn't have that then, but my corys like it now and it sinks and is soft.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right now they are in a diy breeder sitting in front of one of my hob's. The 50 gal has assorted tetras the worst being black skirts that would make a quick snack of them. I think I'm gonna try and see if they will eat some flake food ground to a powder. Eventually I will put them into something bigger. I have a ten gallon sitting in the basement, but I don't know if I should use AC 30 hob that I have and put a sponge on the intake or make a sponge filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You can try and drop a small piece of egg yolk from a boiled egg. even the bigger fishes will enjoy the protein snack.
It used to be the go to food for fry before all the commercial preparations. Some people stick it through a sieve, I think this just makes it messy.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Definitely use a sponge filter rather than a guarded regular filter, you don't want to give the little guys too much flow and a regular filter runs too much risk of sucking them up even with a sponge. Just put a big hunk of java moss or such in there and they'll be perfectly fine, tiny fry don't need much filtration.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For now they are still in the main tank in the breeder box I made. My main concern is that they start to eat. I know that for the first 2 to 3 days they feed off their egg sacs so maybe that is why they are just sitting on the side of the breeder for now. Maybe I'll put a patch of moss in there to give them some cover so to speak and make them feel more secure..... I don't know just thinking to much maybe? I want them to make it.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
You aren't over thinking it. Go ahead and throw some moss in there (its more for the microfauna that grow in it). Just keep the water healthy and feed enough. Fry will grow fast with higher protein and fat content (good thing).

·
Registered
918 Posts
I don't think you are over thinking it at all. The main thing now is to provide enough food and keep the water quality up. There are various fry foods on the market, maybe take a look at those. Also, as I mentioned before, Repashy would work well because it is a very fine powder that is mixed with boiling water to make a gel. I then cut it in small cubes and freeze. I remove a portion when I want to feed and break in small chunks. Even baby shrimp feed on the Repashy gel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.