The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around christmas im going to be setting up a 5 gallon shrimp tank, and i want to know, how do i do it? i know thats a broad question but i dont know what ill need other than, water a tank, filter heater and shrimp. i think i need to know my taps GH or something of the sorts, am i correct there? Also i'd love to add a betta if doable, i plan to do a scape where there are sooo many hiding places and soo much moss it probably wouldnt be a problem, but what do i know?!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, i have a few questions after reading General and Abbreviations...
What is RO Water
Water is DI water (Distilled?)

Now for shrimp, i am highly interested in TB (Taiwan Bee), OEBT, and TT (Tangerine Tiger), i dont want to start out with something like Cherry's or Ghost shrimp, i want something a little bit less... Common

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
if you dont want cherries i would go with regular tiger. all the others you have listed are pretty expensice and take alot of care and careful attention and not really starter shrimp. there are also all different colors of "cherrys" neo's come in all kinds of colors. (reds, yellow, orange, blue, clear with white eggs {snowball} chocolate, rili) they are the best to start with but regular tiger are pretty easy to care for and quite pretty if you really dont want one of those. tiger can also be kept with all those colors i just listed

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
Alright, i have a few questions after reading General and Abbreviations...
What is RO Water
Water is DI water (Distilled?)
RO water = reverse osmosis water. Water is forced through a membrane against its osmotic gradient using pressure, resulting in relatively pure water.
DI water = deionized water. Water is passed through a resin that exchanges ions such as calcium, magnesium, chloride, etc for other ions.

Now for shrimp, i am highly interested in TB (Taiwan Bee), OEBT, and TT (Tangerine Tiger), i dont want to start out with something like Cherry's or Ghost shrimp, i want something a little bit less... Common
As you are new to shrimp and starting off with a small aquarium, I would not recommend you start off with sensitive shrimp such as the ones you have listed. In addition to their difficulty in terms of care, they are also quite expensive.

I would suggest RCS to start off with, but since you have already ruled that out, perhaps Snowball or Yellow shrimp instead (same species, different colour variation)?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
This is comparable to learning how to drive on a brand new Porsche or a Ferrari. Start off with the Honda Civic if it's your first time driving....you'll crash the Porsche and lose a ton of money.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok, I was also thinking I was way out of the ball park with what I suggested. I'll continue to look, but what I sort of want something blue or yellow, I can't throw out other options just yet though, also I don't dislike Cherrys, it's just I didn't really want the pure red that they are, I'm getting too picky right now, I should really get the tank setup and established first, then worry about the types of shrimp to get

Also thanks for clarification on the abbreviations.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Blue rili are an option. More expensive than cherries. Fire reds and fire yellow are cool too. Green babulti are another mid ground option. Just be aware that neocardia lines cross each other and most cardinias lines will cross each other. So you don't want to put them together for fear of winding up with wild type looking muts.

Also the parameters for neocardia and cardinias are different. If you live in an area where its pretty warm and your house is often 80 degrees you want to stick with neocardia. It's much easier to heat a tank than to cool one. Also especially with the cardinia, the more inbred they are, the harder they are to keep alive.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Is the water from a water softener deionized water (DI)? If this water is then run through a RO filter is it then RO, DI water?
You don't need both. Either deionize it or run it through an RO system. Either is fine for shrimp tanks.

With smaller tanks you can simply buy RO water at grocery stores for cheap. With larger tanks an RO system of your own should be more worthwhile in the long run.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I heard that New York has pretty good tap water. Or is that just in NYC? What's your pH, GH, KH, & TDS? Maybe if your water's good enough you could get some low grade CRS, like maybe A-S.
Upstates really weird with our water, a lot of the water that is recieved in our area is from wells, but im connected to Albany's water itself, ill have to find out, i just finished off a PH tester so i have to get another, Alrighty, all i could find out at the moment is that here in albany we get our water from a resivouir called the Alcove, the water that the city recieves after all processing and purifying has a GH that is softer, they didnt give any numerical amounts, but they called it soft. Another neat thing i found out is that one year Albany was rated to have some of the best tasting water.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You don't need both. Either deionize it or run it through an RO system. Either is fine for shrimp tanks.

With smaller tanks you can simply buy RO water at grocery stores for cheap. With larger tanks an RO system of your own should be more worthwhile in the long run.
What would the RO water's "Brand name" be? or what would it be called?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You have many more questions ADJ, I know you will.

As for shrimp, I agree with the consensus, don't learn to shrimp with a Porsche. Have a look at Blue Velvets, Orange Pumpkins, or Yellow Neos.

You can mix Blue neos with Tangerine Tigers for a blue and yellow/orange look without fear of interbreeding, Tangerines in my experience are not as finicky as the other Cardinia species, and you will have no problem breeding blue neos in card parameters.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You have many more questions ADJ, I know you will.

As for shrimp, I agree with the consensus, don't learn to shrimp with a Porsche. Have a look at Blue Velvets, Orange Pumpkins, or Yellow Neos.

You can mix Blue neos with Tangerine Tigers for a blue and yellow/orange look without fear of interbreeding, Tangerines in my experience are not as finicky as the other Cardinia species, and you will have no problem breeding blue neos in card parameters.
Im sure i will have more questions.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another question! what would be the best plants to purchase for shrimp specifically? i hear mosses and such, but what else would you guys/gals sugges? i can get a picture of the tank if youd think that would help at all

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.