The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Long post ahead so please, keep with me :)

So, I have this unused IKEA Cylinder which I decided to turn to a mini-tank for an Amano Shrimp (planning just 1, 2 at last)
I did the math so it's about 5L (1.32 gallons)
My plan is to get:
1x branch
1 or more stones
5x Marimo balls (2-3 inch/4-5 cm)
1x Egeria densa for the background
1x plant for carpet/front

Now the questions are:
1) I have no way to get RO water so I have to rely on tap water; I live in Slovakia and it's said water is one of the best around in Europe, so can I rely on that?
I would wait at least 1 month before getting the Amano in it

2) Online shops have anything from the list above but decorative stones; is it ok to take some pebble from the street and put it in the aquarium?
I heard calcium may make the water poisonous

3) I am planning to use no filter, no air pumps, nothing; with those plants above and considering the size, and considering livestock is literally 1 or 2 Amanos, is it going to thrive anyway?

Thanks for your patience,
Andrea

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If planning for 2 amano you will probably have to feed them since such a small space will probably not grow enough algae. Feeding is easy, you can boil vegetables in water and add those to the tank (no sauce, salt etc) and remove them after a few hours (the amanos will not be able to finish them).

Tap water can be fine so long as the parameters are decent. Amano shrimp are pretty hardy but you will still want a kit to test the water for ph, nitrite, ammonia, nitrate etc. The downside is that your tap water will probably leave hard water marks on the glass as it evaporates. Not a big deal as you just wipe them off but when having a small shrimp vase its nice not to worry about it. That said, all of my tanks just use tap water /shrug.

I would probably leave off the moss balls and go with more plants. The moss balls are not going to do much for filtering the water since they grow so slowly.

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
593 Posts
Hi all,

Long post ahead so please, keep with me :)
View attachment 1025245
So, I have this unused IKEA Cylinder which I decided to turn to a mini-tank for an Amano Shrimp (planning just 1, 2 at last)
I did the math so it's about 5L (1.32 gallons)
My plan is to get:
1x branch
1 or more stones
5x Marimo balls (2-3 inch/4-5 cm)
1x Egeria densa for the background
1x plant for carpet/front

Now the questions are:
1) I have no way to get RO water so I have to rely on tap water; I live in Slovakia and it's said water is one of the best around in Europe, so can I rely on that?
I would wait at least 1 month before getting the Amano in it

2) Online shops have anything from the list above but decorative stones; is it ok to take some pebble from the street and put it in the aquarium?
I heard calcium may make the water poisonous

3) I am planning to use no filter, no air pumps, nothing; with those plants above and considering the size, and considering livestock is literally 1 or 2 Amanos, is it going to thrive anyway?

Thanks for your patience,
Andrea
This should be a fantastic project! I'm not the most knowledgeable here, but I think I can answer your questions...

I) Amanos (or Neocardia shrimp) will be fine with treated tap water. Treat with something like Seachem Prime. Note that a small container like that will be subject to temperature swings.
2) Yes you can go with stone found outside. Test it with muriatic acid (found at hardware stores here in the US) if there are no bubbles on the test area it's ok. Clean everything well in the hottest water possible. I've boiled rocks, but beware that some claim some rocks can burst violently if heated too high.
3) I personally don't suggest it, but if you aren't using filtration keep a good eye on everything and do more water changes. Especially the first several months. Many people have success so you can too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If planning for 2 amano you will probably have to feed them since such a small space will probably not grow enough algae. Feeding is easy, you can boil vegetables in water and add those to the tank (no sauce, salt etc) and remove them after a few hours (the amanos will not be able to finish them).

I would probably leave off the moss balls and go with more plants. The moss balls are not going to do much for filtering the water since they grow so slowly.
Thanks for the advices :)

What kind of vegetables would they eat? Something like blanched zucchini?

And regarding moss balls, I read they are great for keeping nitrites and nitrates values really low, and I guess 5 of them would be fine in a such small environment

I did a similar type of cylinder and it was a lot of fun. It didnt last long, however, because I put the rock to close to glass on side and cracked. Just be careful of pressure points.
Ah yes, thanks!

I'm also planning to put something in between the tank and the furniture to evenly distribute the pressure

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Thanks for the advices :)

What kind of vegetables would they eat? Something like blanched zucchini?

And regarding moss balls, I read they are great for keeping nitrites and nitrates values really low, and I guess 5 of them would be fine in a such small environment
Pretty much anything you would eat. Romaine, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini. Just don't use thing that have a lot of liquid in them like tomatoes.

Moss balls are awesome if you have nothing else as they are better then nothing. But since plants are going to be your only filter you want something that will grow (trimming plants is how you will be removing waste from this tank) and there is not a lot of floor space in this cylinder so I would definitely go with other plants instead. But its your vase so /shrug.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had a micro tank one. 2 cups, or 1/2 liter of water. It had a single paradise fish fry it and some anachris. It got about a 50% water change several times a week. It was a wonderful little tank in a drinking glass on a window sill. It would pearl when the light was right. Keep us posted on your project!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm glad this sparked so much interest, and I will keep you posted for sure on the progress!

Being this Day 1, I laid out the substrate, which comes from a bag of leftovers from the previous apartment tenants. The substrate is specificly for 'balcony gardening' and it's a little bit hard, but it's also full of nutrients so I hope it will be fine for aquatic plants as well. The thickness of the layer is about 1.5 inch (4 cm) and I luckily had a led light hanging around unused to bring some brightness

Tomorrow or Monday I will make the order since I luckily found a website that sells both lava stones and driftwood as well, so that's sorted out :)

I also changed a little bit the plants plan, since I'm probably going for Monte Carlo or something less difficult for the carpet (Eleocharis parvulus / minima?), still keen on getting an Egeria Densa for the back which I will trim out before planting, and some other stem plant for the mid section

EDIT: I'm also planning to get a cheap aerator with an airstone for keeping some motion in the water, in order to prevent biofilms in the surface

This is how the current cart looks like :) missing Egeria Densa, waiting for restock, and add 3.50 to this for shipment

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I finally had the plants delivered, all well and all good, but..
  • The lava stone is way bigger than described in the website, so it fits in the vase but covers anything so no room for plants
  • Same for the driftwood, takes too much room
  • I tried with the plants but as soon as I filled in the water the substrate started floating and falling apart
  • Tried again draining the water with the substrate but still, does not rest in position
  • End of story? In a moment of pure rage I got rid of anything in the trash and just kept the 2 mossballs and floating plants, which lie in a smaller cylinder with water

I'm done with this crap lol, this motherf- hobby is more than dead to me. Never again with these planted bulls-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.