The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea how big of a deal the World Juniors are down in the states, but up here, it's one of the biggest things to watch and take part in.
I know football is a big thing, but up here, its all about the hockey!

Today, Canada made quick work of Latvia with a good 16-0 win, two short of their record of 18-0 they got one year.

I'm really hoping we can get a 6th consecutive gold!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I don't get how Sweden beat Czechoslovakia (<---correct spelling, first try!) 10-1, when we beat Sweden 6-2 in the exhibition, and only beat the Czechs 3-2.
Oh well, 6-peat for us!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Americans usually have a decent team though, well, decent enough to follow at least, considering they are one of the hockey super powers. I'd probably rank them fourth, in the World Juniors category. I'd say Canada, then Sweden, then Russia, then the US. The Americans could be way better if they just tried harder really.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't really think hockey pertains to that many americans. I think Minnesota is the only state where people actually care about hockey =S .
You haven't heard of "Hockeytown" USA? 60 miles east of my home.... we have a little team here that you may have heard of, the Detroit Red Wings!

J/K... there are a few of us down here that live & breath hockey though...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, a lot of the NHL teams have a fan base, yeah no doubt, and well, they're all NHL players that have turned pro obviously, but in juniors, I find that there isn't as much interest in watching, or even playing.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, Canada is back at it tonight against Slovakia I believe. So far, we're 22 goals for, and 0 goals against, and that's only in two games!

Eh Oh, Canada Go!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An alright win tonight over Slovakia: 8-2. I woulda prefered 8-0 though...oh well.

And for all you Americans on here, you guys are playing us on New Years Eve. Just so you know, its not too late to switch citizenship if you would like to win a Gold Medal, lol:D Just kidding.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, well, for all of those who watched yesterday.... EPIC WIN!
The Americans can still make it to the finals though, but they just have to play that extra game in the quarter-finals, where as the Canadians get a 'buy' right into the semi's.

6th straiiigghhhttt!!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here we go!

Canada vs USA at 4:30pm PST. Will the Americans finally dethrone us, or will the Canadians remain at the top for another year to come?

We shall see!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Hockey is without a doubt a popular sport in the USA still at least for the high school level players. At my school the hockey team gets out 15 mins early each day to get to the ice rink for practice.

With that said a lot of my friends also swim and run track so it doesn't have as big of a cult following as it does in Canada. Not like Americans and our Football but it is talked about in school and whatnot.

-Andrew

·
Registered
476 Posts
Great game. 2 teams that play to overtime in 2 games to decide the winner by one goal shows there isn't much seperating these 2 teams on any given night.

Now we wait for the Olympics and the stakes go up. Go Team Canada.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.