The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to take a vacation on a warm sunny ocean beach during the winter, where would you go and why?

My spouse and I have been talking about doing such a thing next year, now that I can walk comfortably again.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
I'd go to Trinidad & Tobago. It costs $300-500 for round trip airfare, the hotels there are affordable, the people are great and there are lots of beaches and interesting things to do.

The best time to go is around Carnival season. The week or two leading up to Carnival is packed with fun cultural things to do, music concerts and other activities.

Carnival is an annual event held on the Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday in Trinidad and Tobago.

I'd also recommend going to Tobago, lots of beach resorts there and touristy things.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Palau. Its epic. Its a great dive spot, and there are jelly fish that don't sting. Little pricey and difficult to get there though.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ambergris Cay , Belize … Great snorkeling/diving , plus you can team it up with a couple of days on the mainland in a rainforest lodge.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Anyplace but Tampa.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
What part of the world are you looking for? If your not opposed to it, Eilat, Israel has some world class beaches and diving. I lived there for 2 months, it doesn't feel dangerous at all. Mostly media hype.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not opposed to going anywhere in the world, and have always dreamed of going to New Zealand, but closer to the USA might make it more affordable. I do have a passport.

32 years ago I spent a week in Hawaii and loved it there. When I was a child, my family would go to Florida in the winter, but it sometimes was a bit chilly.

The places mentioned above in the Caribbean sound like they might be affordable.
Gah, I do want to do more world exploring too.

It's cold and snowing outside!! Time to put on some Jimmy Buffet.

·
Registered
776 Posts
How long are you planning on staying?

Look at the price of the flight and the cost of accommodations. For trips over 2 weeks - SE Asia (Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia etc) has some world renown beaches and low cost of accommodations to balance out the higher priced flights.

Shorter jaunts look at the Caribbean and Gulf side of Central (Costa Rica/Panama) and South America (Brazil).

Let's not forget Puerto Rico for something exotic and local at the same time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Although my spouse and I both have passports, would I even need a passport to go to Puerto Rico?

Until retirement, I probably have to limit it to 10 days.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Stay in U.S. and go to the Virgin Islands. St. John's is more laid-back and you can go to a different bay everyday. We rented a jeep for the week and did just that. One of the bays (Trunk Bay) is pretty famous and has an underwater snorkeling trail. One of the best vacations I ever took.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts