·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That PFK story has been popping up for most of the year. Seems to primarily be an issue for plants that are imported or when living in Europe and shipping across borders.

Though, I agree with Aquatic Delight. QT, dips and proper rinsing are key if you have livestock you care about.
Hi somewhatshocked,

I agree that proper QT or even possibly adequate rinsing might alleviate the potential problem. Purchasing plants from LFS that get their plants from Florida farms shouldn't be a problem or from forum members that actually grow the plants they are selling.

However, here on the West Coast a lot of plants come in from Asia. Also some forum members that resell plants import from Asia as well; being aware of the potential issue can possibly save a member a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I think this news is old....

I buy some moss from oversea and rinse it and they have been in my tank and growing very well ..no problem or loss

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
rinsing doesnt work, i know first hand :( I left imported plants in a bucket for a couple of days and then rinsed repeatedly. The chemicals still killed off over 600 shrimp with proper rinsing.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Old news but good information to have.

Those importing Buces and such should do the hobby a favor and clean their plants well, quarantining them prior to offering them for sale.

Thanks for sharing it again, Seattle_Aquarist.
Buces shouldn't be a problem because they aren't really farmed--they grow too slowly and their legality is questionable.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
It is more a matter of them coming in from overseas. From what I understand they have to pass nematode and plant pest quaratine standards, often which require treatment of chemicals or for them to be tissue cultured/sterile.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Seems to me that if plants have been treated with insecticides (or other nasty chemicals) that at least some of those same chemicals will be released into their environment when a leaf (or other plant part) decomposes in the water it lived in.

(Please disregard this post if same is assumed in the article. I wasn't able to open the link via my cell.)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
OMG, I just order some plants oversea... This article just scare me :/ Good thing I don't put these inside my shrimp tank. They go in my plant only tank. Will put in some.. cheap fish.. or shrimp to test it i guess. Hate to do that.. but...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts