The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok so now that i have decided to try out my hand at disucs i have a few more questions regarding them.

Question #1 Ok so once im completly done my new tank ( next few months ) and the plants are in i need to start dosing here are my questions.
im going to be dosing flourish accordin to their redgime but im also going to be dosing EI macro i know i need to dose but are these the right nutrients ? KN03, KH2P04, K2S04 also how much do i need to dose for a 75 gallon heavily planted high co2 and high lighting ? also im going to be doing water changes sometime between tuesday and thursday as well as friday and sunday how much do i need to dose and when ?

Question # 2 here is an updated fish list does it sound reasonable ?

3 red turq ( i think )
6 blue rams
4 apiso aggasi
4 apisto cac
13 neons
5 emperor tetras
7 marbled hatchet fish
11 ottos
7 cory's

does this seem ok to you ? For a heavily planted tank with a nice professional 2 eheim.

help is appreciated... dont bother to tell me to read your guide rex cause i have and i wont read it anymore times.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I highly recommend that you go to www.simplydiscus.com and read galore. I once decided to get into discus and I joined that site. After reading a lot about ferts/tankmates/etc. I realized that discus was not for me. They are VERY high maintenance. I can tell you right now that you better read a whole lot before you even think about getting into discus.

From what I have read on that site, dosing ferts in a discus tank is not a good idea. The reason why so many discus keepers use RO water is because discus need extremely clean, soft, acidic water.

Not to sound harsh but I think you are rushing into something that is going to turn into disaster. Discus are not like keeping tetras my friend. Please go to that site and read.

-Ryan

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ohh ive read all about them i also already have them ive been reading about them for a minth or so trying to decide weither i want them or not i am fully aware of their matainance issues

but i know there are other people on this forum who keep nice looking heavily planted high light and high co2 tanks with discus im wondering their fert redgime and how they balance ferts and water changes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I kept Discus in a densley planted 180 gallon tank for years ... about 2 watts per gallon of light, pressurized CO2, daily dosing of ferts ... small water changes about 3-4 days a week, major water change almost every Sunday.

I used tap water straight from the tap ... relatively hard water - came out of the tap with a GH/KH around 11, plants did fine and so did the Discus ...

A well planted tank will keep your water crystal clear which I think is what your Discus will like best ...

Dosing ferts has nothing to do with crystal clear water other than the fact that dosing ferts means you will have healthy plants which means you will have excellent water quality ...

You can't hardly get better water quality than having a healthy planted aquarium.

Whether Discus need soft water or hard water is largely a myth ... many discus today are domestically breed ... and many of those discus are being bred in natural water conditions that are not as soft as popular discourse would suggest <grin> ...

I would encourage anyone who wants to get into Discus to acquire them from a reputable breeder (this could be a hobbyist breeder too) ... and acclimate your tank to as similar water quality to the breeder's water as is possible ...

If you choose to change the water quality of your tanks over time ... your Discus will acclimate just fine ... especially if you acquire them while they are very young ... and yes <grin>, they will breed in water with a GH/KH of 12 <grin> ...

While you can follow any of the popular dosing strategies today and do well, the Estimative Index approach is a natural match to a Discus tank with its weekly 50% water changes ... and if you choose to do small daily water changes before you dose, your plants will do fine and so will your Discus.

I did small semi-automated water changes on most weekdays, a 50% water change on most Monday mornings ... and followed the Estimative Index Dosing Strategy ...

Greg

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think discus are very easy to maintain, especially if home grown, as it were, because something that a local breeder is breeding has get adjusted to local water conditions.
so discus are very tolerant of local water condiitons, but mine are soft water, they don't mind dosing ferts, and are very easy to maintian.

That being said, Apisto agassizi are very territorial, and might have territory issues with cacatoides.
I am wondering if agassizi and cacs would get along, don't know since I never did that. Did you say what size tank?

I had a pair of discus, kribs, & agassisi in a 55 gallon. The agassizi kept the kribs boxed into 1/4 of the tank.

Female cacs are quite alot of fun without all the territorial breeding issues.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
you should be fine. might want to reconsider the emporer tetras though. the ones i have in my 20 are kinda aggresive. esp the male, he heards everything into one corner cause hes trying to make babies on the other side.

discua arent bad to keep. mine are all kickin and rarely do water changes.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK thanks for the replies the discus have acclimatized well although my new rams as well as the dicus where having some problems adjusting to the co2 content and where gasping i ran the bubbler for 2 days and they seem fine today. Also the discus arent camera shy at all i took a few pics how ever they didint turn out as the lighting is to dim in the tank with only one lamp running.

thanks for all the aggression help im still figureing out the correct fish list with a pro i will update with THE FINAL fish list in a while once i am decided.

i have 3 apistos currently but they are still small right now and no agression shows if there is too much aggresion i will remove them before it comes a problem there will be lots of driftwood to hide in this tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.