The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could set up your "dream" Shrimp rack setup, what would you do? Minimum of like 8 feet long... 2 feet deep.

You want to breed the normal shrimp, and some more hard to breed ones like amano and fan shrimp that no one can breed captive At the moment.

Oh, and you want some light for plants like moss too....

Everything needs to be covered,

Filtration, lighting, substrate, anything else that goes into the tanks, tops for tanks, electrical cables, water food, EVERYTHING

You want the best rack, for the best deal... really.

Not sure on my answer yet.....
-Andrew

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
My DREAM, super fantasy dream, would be to own a river, and ocean, that has amano shrimp already inhabiting it so that it would naturally reproduce itself. No rack for me!

Ok sorry, stupid dreams. Do I really WANT to breed low order shrimp? My dream right now is to just get a plain old 10 gallon and have aquasoil, a sponge filter, and driftwood+beautiful moss, and get cherries+crs+bee shrimp to breed in there! My dream isn't so hard to come by either!

But if I really wanted something cool, something like a 50 gallon long, being custom made, and have like 5 dividers which would create 6 sections, with a filter in each divided part that will make it possible so that all the water in the tank will have the same parameters and keep cherries in one, crs+bee in same divider, then i would want snowball in another, green shrimp in another, and low grade crs+bee in another divider, and maybe my even higher grades could go in another divider. And aquasoil of course... then maybe another one with the a pretty much same setup under the first one which will house the same shrimp but in harder+alkaline water. Just to see what happens.

Dreams do come true! or so they say...

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
You want to breed the normal shrimp, and some more hard to breed ones like amano and fan shrimp that no one can breed captive At the moment.
Yeah they can. It's just time consuming and difficult. At least Amano's can.

Do you really need an 8 foot long rack? I'm sure one of the metal racks at Home Depot would be really good, you could use a bunch of plywood and 5 gallon tanks situated sideways.

I'd use shoplights and Soilmaster Select for lighting and substrate. It would be cheap, and you really don't need a lot of lighting anyway.

Art (admin) on APC has one, ask him about it.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My DREAM, super fantasy dream, would be to own a river, and ocean, that has amano shrimp already inhabiting it so that it would naturally reproduce itself. No rack for me!

Ok sorry, stupid dreams. Do I really WANT to breed low order shrimp? My dream right now is to just get a plain old 10 gallon and have aquasoil, a sponge filter, and driftwood+beautiful moss, and get cherries+crs+bee shrimp to breed in there! My dream isn't so hard to come by either!

But if I really wanted something cool, something like a 50 gallon long, being custom made, and have like 5 dividers which would create 6 sections, with a filter in each divided part that will make it possible so that all the water in the tank will have the same parameters and keep cherries in one, crs+bee in same divider, then i would want snowball in another, green shrimp in another, and low grade crs+bee in another divider, and maybe my even higher grades could go in another divider. And aquasoil of course... then maybe another one with the a pretty much same setup under the first one which will house the same shrimp but in harder+alkaline water. Just to see what happens.

Dreams do come true! or so they say...
Well, a river would be nice... but not a reality for me at the moment....*starts thinking*

Yeah they can. It's just time consuming and difficult. At least Amano's can.

Do you really need an 8 foot long rack? I'm sure one of the metal racks at Home Depot would be really good, you could use a bunch of plywood and 5 gallon tanks situated sideways.

I'd use shoplights and Soilmaster Select for lighting and substrate. It would be cheap, and you really don't need a lot of lighting anyway.

Art (admin) on APC has one, ask him about it.
NO the 8foot rack max was so people wouldn't be like OK I want 10000 feet long with 20000040404 tanks and so on, totally unrealistic.

I might use the metal racks, or Those "gorilla racks" a neighbor has them and they look great! Brian uses them as well at brains tropicals.

Shoplights at homedepot/lowes Is a Must! Most of my lights so far have been from there :help: for $14 for a 4' fixture its a great deal! SMS is also probably what I will use, and maybe some ADA aquasoil for some high grade CRS tanks

I have Art's topic bookmarked since it's the only invert rack I've seen so far! Too bad he had the heat wave come and wipe out his stock:icon_sad: Will have to ask him some questions!

sandie...something like my project of "shrimp-o-drome"?:)))
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/shrimp/39923-my-future-shrimp-o-drome.html

in these days i will start it...A multiple tank divided in 4 tanks of 25 liters each...not so much, a little dream :))
I was thinking the same thing when he was describing that. I almost made My own a while back with an overflow filtration system but it was too pricy for not being a display tank:icon_frow ... Someday Though!

Thanks for the ideas Everyone... And I want to hear everyone else's too so chime in!

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
If I ever see a female I want to attemp my Atya Gabonensis. See, I just got in a super cool Aquariam and I just meeting people who are "important" there. I was told to talk to people incharge o special exhibits so there may be a chance in a while, If i dont mess up at my job, that I will be getting help on the project. That is my goal to accomplish at the end of 2007, establish some sort of Atya Gabonensis project, wether behind the scenes or public at the place I work at. I would love a whole section there dedicated to freshwater shrimps, but I do not think it is priority there atm. I really love these little guys, and I would love to be able to get any number or larva to survive and develope. I sure hope I can find people at the Aquarium who are "in charge" that would love to help me with the project, hell, it would be cool if the place took on the project and help fun it. Conservation and research is fun! Most average people I know cannot wrap their mind arround "little freshwater shrimp that are not for eating" and they think it is so cool I have pet shrimps that are freshwater cus when they think of shrimp they think of ocean. They get a kick out of my Atya Gabonensis cus it is like a shrimp-crayfish with fans instead of claws. I am sure kids at the aquarium would get a kick out of seeing one on dispay there. This is my shrimp dream!

I love freshwater shrimp so much....I have so many dream shrimp homes. I would love to have a tank of black Neocaridinas, maybe even have a whole line of black Neocaridina's with a nice cream stripe. Right now I am scouring the world for some Caridina cf. babaulti Green to live in my shrimpland 20 long with the red cherries I have. A tank of neon green and black shrimp would be pretty rockin in my world!
When I get better pay and jobs and can afford a down payment on a real house, we probably going to have most of our basement shrimps, amphibians, and plant (mostly edible ones) propegation. Can you imagine how many kinds of shrimp can be bred in a basement??? A lot, I tell ya.

btw, that shrimp-o-drome is pretty neat.

·
Banned
418 Posts
I would get this tank..

Wall mount it in a room so you can see it from both sides of the tank and have 1 section dedicated to a specific shrimp.

It would look something like this!!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I ever see a female I want to attemp my Atya Gabonensis. See, I just got in a super cool Aquariam and I just meeting people who are "important" there. I was told to talk to people incharge o special exhibits so there may be a chance in a while, If i dont mess up at my job, that I will be getting help on the project. That is my goal to accomplish at the end of 2007, establish some sort of Atya Gabonensis project, wether behind the scenes or public at the place I work at. I would love a whole section there dedicated to freshwater shrimps, but I do not think it is priority there atm. I really love these little guys, and I would love to be able to get any number or larva to survive and develope. I sure hope I can find people at the Aquarium who are "in charge" that would love to help me with the project, hell, it would be cool if the place took on the project and help fun it. Conservation and research is fun! Most average people I know cannot wrap their mind arround "little freshwater shrimp that are not for eating" and they think it is so cool I have pet shrimps that are freshwater cus when they think of shrimp they think of ocean. They get a kick out of my Atya Gabonensis cus it is like a shrimp-crayfish with fans instead of claws. I am sure kids at the aquarium would get a kick out of seeing one on dispay there. This is my shrimp dream!

I love freshwater shrimp so much....I have so many dream shrimp homes. I would love to have a tank of black Neocaridinas, maybe even have a whole line of black Neocaridina's with a nice cream stripe. Right now I am scouring the world for some Caridina cf. babaulti Green to live in my shrimpland 20 long with the red cherries I have. A tank of neon green and black shrimp would be pretty rockin in my world!
When I get better pay and jobs and can afford a down payment on a real house, we probably going to have most of our basement shrimps, amphibians, and plant (mostly edible ones) propegation. Can you imagine how many kinds of shrimp can be bred in a basement??? A lot, I tell ya.

btw, that shrimp-o-drome is pretty neat.
Now that's a project! I would love to help if it was only closer.....

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would get this tank..

Wall mount it in a room so you can see it from both sides of the tank and have 1 section dedicated to a specific shrimp.

It would look something like this!!

I see, but the only problem with that is that the shrimp could go tank hoping

-Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.