The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a big clump of java fern windelov that I bought in the SnS. Since putting it in my tank it has started to go brown, right now it is probably half brown from the roots-up with some leaves being all brown.

This is a new 12g planted tank and I assume it is because of the lighting. I am dosing Flourish and had started dosing Flourish Excel about a ten days ago but stopped that about four days ago because my java moss is almost totally brown now. Since it was fine before I started the Excel I assume that is the cause, I have read this is a possibilty (although my peacock moss seems fine, greenest thing in the tank).

I was also dosing some fish medicine, Pimafix and Melafix, for the past seven days due to a bacteria/fungus outbreak. But they both say they will not harm live plants.

The lighting is only the default 13W, but I have a 32W retrofit on order. I went with the java fern becaue I read it was low light, but apparently not? Do you guys agree it was probably the lighting that made it go brown and do you think once I get the 32W bulb in there it will bounce back, or should I just pull all the brown out now?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
java ferns do well in low light... The meds was probably the cause.
Its not likely the melafix or pimafix. I have and have used both in my planted tanks for my Acrochordus--which was used in Over-doses. Its never had any ill effects on the plants, and I've never heard of anyone having plant problems from those two products.

As long as the rhizome is Good it will bounce back.

What kind of substrate are You using?

The rule of lighting breaks down on small tanks. Things should improve when You get the new light. If You are just dosing Flourish (micros) You may want to get some N, P K--with low light You shouildn't need much, but You will probably need some.

If I remember correctly, winlov is the most finicky.

HTH

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Java fern likes a lot of CO2, and light. Yeah, it will grow in low tech. But it grows ridiculously slow. It responds quite well to current IME.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm more concerned with the Windelov than with the java moss, I have a lot of peacock moss which is doing well. Think I should go back to dosing Excel? I was thinking of doing a half dose as a compromise, but if I have to get rid of the java moss to save the windelov, I'm fine with that.

As long as the rhizome is Good it will bounce back.
Let's say the bottom half of a shoot/leaf is brown and the top half is green. Go ahead and leave that in there hoping that it will be alright, or take it out and throw it away? What if the whole leaf is brown?

Naja, this is a very low tech tank, substrate is just regular gravel that has been in the tank with fish for a couple of months. I have the ferns tied to a couple of lace rocks. I'll try to take a picture later today and post it here.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Let's say the bottom half of a shoot/leaf is brown and the top half is green. Go ahead and leave that in there hoping that it will be alright, or take it out and throw it away? What if the whole leaf is brown?
Cut off the dead, and dying leaves. It's better to have the plant put it's energy into growing new leaves than feeding old ones. Just don't cut off everything at once.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a picture of the fern, this was almost all green about two weeks ago when I got it. Taz, if I cut off every leaf with brown I wouldn't have anything left!

Sorry about the quality, this is a side shot with some glare. Ignore the stuff in the back, the windelov is tied to the rock in the front.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Even if you cut off every leaf, a healthy rhizome will send up tons of new growth. Old damaged leaves are just algae magnets. If you have a low-light setup it will take quite a while though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts