The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently going to purchase a rex griggs style reactor but decided to build my own. Well to get the specific matching fittings I wanted I had to place a large order online lol. Just wondering if there would be people willing to buy them pre-built by me rather than trying to obtain the correct parts to build your own? It can be a pain for some people to find the correct fittings locally.

THIS IS NOT A SALE POST MODS, PLEASE DON'T DELETE. SIMPLY DETERMINING IF THERE IS A MARKET FOR THIS BEFORE SPENDING THE TIME TO ADD IT TO MY STOCK.
Thanks!

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
While it seems easy to say you can build one, I would assume there would need to be some thought of how well it is designed and built. If you use the original design or have made changes can change how well they work. So if I were a careful buyer, I would want to see the product as there are about 60 variables involved when folks begin to mod the design. Some work, some cause trouble.
One big decision might be how you will size the reactor to fit flow from different filters and different CO2 flow for different tank needs. A reactor for a 20 gallon running a 2211 filter will have different needs than one used for 125 with an FX6.
I see DIY projects as things which can work well for personal use but which are difficult to adapt to general use for all.
How to price them? WOW! That is a whole ballgame in itself.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While it seems easy to say you can build one, I would assume there would need to be some thought of how well it is designed and built. If you use the original design or have made changes can change how well they work. So if I were a careful buyer, I would want to see the product as there are about 60 variables involved when folks begin to mod the design. Some work, some cause trouble.
One big decision might be how you will size the reactor to fit flow from different filters and different CO2 flow for different tank needs. A reactor for a 20 gallon running a 2211 filter will have different needs than one used for 125 with an FX6.
I see DIY projects as things which can work well for personal use but which are difficult to adapt to general use for all.
How to price them? WOW! That is a whole ballgame in itself.
I agree completely. I like to see how things work and how different designs affect and such. I intentionally ordered fittings of varying sizes as to adapt for different size setups and needs.

Bump:
I wouldn't but I would foresee buying a nice prodesigned cerges. Even though so so simple to build. I don't know why a certain seller went Rex Grigg over cerges.
I think he did that because most people don't have the space for a properly designed cerges reactor.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
QUOTE:
I think he did that because most people don't have the space for a properly designed Cerges reactor.

This is likely to be more complex than first thought. One reason some use the Grigg's is that they built it and it worked so they see no reason to try what they have not personally tried. The old "works good, don't change it" idea.
Second is that there is quite a difference in how we each feel about the loss of flow when adding a reactor. How the reactor is built as well as which type will make it effect the flow to different amounts. Somebody with a big filter wanting lower flow will have a different need than one who has a marginal flow and kind of wishes he had more.

There is also a pretty significant difference in the total cost and much of that can depend on how we each shop. Buying or having on hand a 10' pipe and buying fittings in bags of ten can cut the cost in half. The house filter alone can cost more than the total cost of building a Grigg's at times. But that is just another small part of the question.

Building a reactor for my personal use is simple. Building one and selling it to somebody who comes by to see it work, is somewhat simple but building and selling it to ship is not something my ethics will fit. Too much chance that it will not match their expectations.

If I remember the discussion correctly, this was an item which caused Mr.Grigg's a great deal of grief at the time. I got the feeling he wished he had never opened that can of worms!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have built both the Rex and Cerge reactor and had to go back to the Rex because with the Cerge I loss noticeable flow. Initially the Rex total build was cheaper than the Cerge but when I went to build a second Rex I used UV protective clear PVC pipe which was expensive but getting to see the bubble mixing makes it all worth the extra cost. Let me know if you want to see some picture of mine for ideas

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have built both the Rex and Cerge reactor and had to go back to the Rex because with the Cerge I loss noticeable flow. Initially the Rex total build was cheaper than the Cerge but when I went to build a second Rex I used UV protective clear PVC pipe which was expensive but getting to see the bubble mixing makes it all worth the extra cost. Let me know if you want to see some picture of mine for ideas
Where can I get the clear pvc for a reasonable price. I would like to see the inside very much

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Where can I get the clear pvc for a reasonable price. I would like to see the inside very much
Clear PVC can be pricey. I know Jehmco carries it: Fittings & PVC

Not sure what size you'd be using; 1/2" is $3.52/foot; 3/4" is $4.71; 1" is $6.98 and they have various clear elbows and end caps.

·
Planted Tanker
6,081 Posts
Seems like there would be a high potential for dissatisfied customers. Various flow rates, head heights, CO2 amounts, all affect how well a particular design will work for someone. Plus, seems like mostly inexperienced people are the ones who would by them, or at least people who are less mechanically inclined, perhaps with little understanding of what/why a thing works or not.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems like there would be a high potential for dissatisfied customers. Various flow rates, head heights, CO2 amounts, all affect how well a particular design will work for someone. Plus, seems like mostly inexperienced people are the ones who would by them, or at least people who are less mechanically inclined, perhaps with little understanding of what/why a thing works or not.
Very True. I was going to only do designs that I knew worked for specific model such as the various filters I personally own or the test ones I send out to certain people. I would not sell a generic one size fits all as that is not how this works...

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I see lots of changes made to the design and I also see lots of things that I feel are dangerously close to creating trouble rather than fixing it. One thing that many people will not do even though it was in the Grigg's design is the way the CO2 enters the water flow. Spending time watching water in a river or creek can help explain why he used an undersized hole and pulled the tubing to the center of the water flow. The water in the center moves in a different way than water at the edges. Many say it will not work to pull the tubing in through a hole and instead use a fitting or tee to inject the CO2. This lets the CO2 enter the water at the edge of the flow rather than in the center. As I see the water moving, this can let the CO2 flow up the wall of the PVC and form a bubble at the top. I feel some of the failures we read about are not due to the Grigg's design but due to the mods that are made to improve it.
Those who will not use the design that Grigg's showed worked and the way the CO2 is injected do have trouble at times . When we change a reactor and it doesn't work, what is faulty, the reactor or the person who changed the design?

I have used the design on 20, 55, 75 and 125 gallons and it works the same when I adjust the length. I do not try to make it better but just use a very simple straightforward design.
This is the way my CO2 enters and it works for me.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One other thing to consider is that shipping an item that might be 20-24" long (including padding) and bulky might add 25% or 33% to the materials cost.
I have mastered the art of shipping via usps priority mail. For a 22" one shipping will run about $9 including packaging supplies:wink2:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.