The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Everyone. I am new to this forum. I found it online by searching Google for a Vintage Fish Tank Forum and Planted Tank was top of the list.

Please help. I need information. I found and purchased a tank that is the same as one I had in my youth. It is a 1960s Great Western Trading Co., Inc. Plastic Earth Globe with etched continents and latitude and longitude lines. The base of the globe contains a pump and 5 Watt night light bulb.

It is in full working order and I currently have 4 White Cloud Mountain Minnows and 6 Ghost Shrimp living in it. I also have a large stem of Pothos Ivy rooting in it with the leaves sticking out of the top feeding hole. It looks very nice. I love this tank. Don't let the picture fool you, it is beautifully clear when full of water.

This is what is listed on the bottom of the tank stand:
Model No 10200
Power Supply 100 120VAC 50 60Hz
Current Rating 0 1AMP
Lamp Wattage: 5 Watts Maximum
Made in Taiwan for
Great Western Trading Co., Inc.

I would love any and all information anyone may have about it. I can't find anything online at all. I have searched and searched and searched some more.

It will only let me post 1 picture of the tank.

Thank you all for your help.

Bump: Here's a pic of the inside.

Bump: Here is the tank when I first set it up:

Bump: And, final pic of the bottom information:

Attachments

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you try this with the globe almost full of water the fish may not get enough oxygen. It is the water surface area, more than anything else, that determines how oxygenated the water is. Also, the small size means the water temperature can change pretty fast, both from the heat given off by the light in the base and from room temperature variations. You won't be able to grow aquatic plants because of the lack of light, but mosses might work well with it.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I noted your post while traveling and thought it was close to a project that I did earlier. I have no info on that tank but did do an orb and learned a fair amount.
I'm not much help on info on that specific tank but perhaps a read through of my posting will give some worthwhile info on setting it up as I did find some major problems with the shape.
But then I also find there are many different ways to look at the hobby and you may find you have a totally different set of wishes?
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20-diy/927097-no-equipment-seen-challenge.html

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
What is it exactly you're trying to figure out? Looks like you've already got it up and running. Are you looking for advice on specifically what to do/use to the tank or just interested in its history?

Reactions: ChristopherM

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lksdrinker, I'm just looking for historical information. I know it's a vintage tank. I would just like to find info about it, say, the original manual to it and the instructions about how to service the parts inside. What year it was actually manufactured. I know it was in the 60s. I'd love to see the original box it came in when purchased. Also, if there are any others out there or if this is a very hard to find tank. So far, it's looking more and more like a very hard to find tank. I was just lucky enough to have owned two in my lifetime. Having it means so much to me. It's a little piece of my childhood regained.

Bump: Here are a couple of pics I just took. I just moved the tank last night so that it would get more light. It's on my desk. And, yes, that's Tigger. I've been called Christopher Robin for as long as I can remember and Tigger is my fave. Sorry, the tan curtains give the tank a tan look in the picture. However, the water and tank are perfectly clear.

Bump:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Did a little quick search and found this
Football aquarium - Great Western Trading Co., Inc.
Main page is about a football shaped aquarium, but look at "Assignee" and the first "US Patent References" (animated crystal ball or globe display system) and "Other References".

In the abstract of the sub article it talks about the pump swirling around whatever may be in the ball. I wonder how strong it is if that may be an issue for plants or fish when plugged in.

Though the patent number doesn't seem to match the text, maybe yours is a older or newer patent? Try search your specific patent number to see if you find any info.
Heh, maybe this link isn't even of the same globe you have?

EDIT: found this too. Don't know if it's the same, and the patent dates are different
http://www.patentbuddy.com/Patent/4961276

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow, I had that tank when I was younger. I'm 33 so it was from a flea sale or something. I recall that it started to leak at the equator. Pry due to global warming. Did not have a box just globe and stand. I think that it would be a neat piece to do a terrarium. Glad it brings you joy.

Bump: Original Nano tank!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, mdeck! Now, I know two people who had this aquarium. You & my Mother~in~Law. I'm 41, so it was a long time ago when she had hers & I had mine. I'm just so happy to hear that others have had this same tank! I love my little tank so very much. You're right, too, it does bring me great joy. :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Did a little quick search and found this
Football aquarium - Great Western Trading Co., Inc.
Main page is about a football shaped aquarium, but look at "Assignee" and the first "US Patent References" (animated crystal ball or globe display system) and "Other References".

In the abstract of the sub article it talks about the pump swirling around whatever may be in the ball. I wonder how strong it is if that may be an issue for plants or fish when plugged in.

Though the patent number doesn't seem to match the text, maybe yours is a older or newer patent? Try search your specific patent number to see if you find any info.
Heh, maybe this link isn't even of the same globe you have?

EDIT: found this too. Don't know if it's the same, and the patent dates are different
Analytics for US Patent No. 4,961,276, Ornamental crystal ball
I had found the same. I think the problem is that Great Western Trading Co is not the manufacturer. If its the same company that still exits today they claim to be a "wholesale offering of unique profit making merchandise. Our Neat Stuff consists of collectibles old and new, warehouse finds, hoards, dealer stocks, replicas, fantasies, fabrications, reproductions and Americana from a bygone era." Their site (Great Western Trading Company )looks like its been stagnant since 2014 but has the following contact info:

PO Box 10403 Marina Del Rey, CA 90295 • Phone: 800-662-2343 • Fax: 888-305-8847
[email protected]

Might try seeing what info if any they might have.

I'm doubtful that this thing is as old as you think it is for some reason. I'm sure some might be as old as you say but the photos you posted look a little too good to be 50+ years old!

You got me searching high and low and looks like this thing was patented in 1989 by a Robert Ross from Garland Texas for Great Western. Continued searches show a few others he filed patents for to include the football aquarium, a pyramid, etc. see links below.

Patent Images

[url=http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=D0304246&homeurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpatft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO2%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsearch-bool.html%2526r%3D6%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2526co1%3DAND%2526d%3DPTXT%2526s1%3D%252522great%252Bwestern%252522.ASNM.%2526s2%3Daquarium%2526OS%3DAN%2F%252522great%252Bwestern%252522%252BAND%252Baquarium%2526RS%3DAN%2F%252522great%252Bwestern%252522%252BAND%252Baquarium&PageNum=&Rtype=&SectionNum=&idkey=NONE&Input=View+first+page]Patent Images[/URL]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
lksdrinker,

Thank you so very much! That is awesome! I was told it was from the 1960s, so I've been searching for it as a vintage 60s item. I did some math and if the patent lasts 14 years... then, 1989 - 28 years (2 patents at 14 years each), then the aquarium would be from 1961 if they renewed the patent twice. I don't know if that is correct, but, if it is, then the tank is vintage from the 60s. If it's not, then the tank is vintage from the 80s. So, I guess we'll never know? But, after doing the math and thinking about 14 more years from 1989, that puts it on the market until 2003...and the economy started going downhill during that time. So, that may explain why they are not in business anymore.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
lksdrinker,

Thank you so very much! That is awesome! I was told it was from the 1960s, so I've been searching for it as a vintage 60s item. I did some math and if the patent lasts 14 years... then, 1989 - 28 years (2 patents at 14 years each), then the aquarium would be from 1961 if they renewed the patent twice. I don't know if that is correct, but, if it is, then the tank is vintage from the 60s. If it's not, then the tank is vintage from the 80s. So, I guess we'll never know? But, after doing the math and thinking about 14 more years from 1989, that puts it on the market until 2003...and the economy started going downhill during that time. So, that may explain why they are not in business anymore.
meh. who cares when it was made. still pretty cool! So long as you like it is all that matters!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lksdrinker, you are exactly right! I love my little tank and that's what matters. :)

Bump: Nordic,

Thank you! I will enjoy looking at your pics. :)

Bump: You're more than welcome to use the pics of my little tank on your Pinterest, if you'd like. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, Everyone! I just wanted to let you know that on Easter Morning, eggs that I didn't know had been laid, hatched and I have a lot of little White Cloud Mountain Minnow Fry swimming around in my little tank! They are just too cute! I'd post a pic, but, they are so very small I doubt they'd be visible. Will have to wait until they've grown a bit.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Go get a bucket of green water for them to eat.
So far I am having great success with my danio fry, only the bigger ones are able to eat first bites yet, but they are all fat and happy and growing fast.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Well, all of the little White Cloud Mountain Minnows have grown up and become young fish. I kept 3 and put them in the large aquarium with their parents. I gave the rest to my Mother~in~Law and she says they are doing quite well in her tank. I have since cleaned out my little Globe and now have a beautiful Betta. I named him Betta because I just like the beauty of the name. He's extremely intelligent and seems to truly love his home. When I saw him in that horrid little cup, between all the other Bettas on the shelf, I just knew he was the one. He's a very dark greenish/black with rusty tan highlights. Betta is just beautiful and I enjoy having him on my desk in his little kingdom. He loves to swim inside the Pagoda and take a nap. Very intelligent and beautiful. I'm very happy he's now a part of my Family. I'll try to get a pic of him soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you, mdeck! Now, I know two people who had this aquarium. You & my Mother~in~Law. I'm 41, so it was a long time ago when she had hers & I had mine. I'm just so happy to hear that others have had this same tank! I love my little tank so very much. You're right, too, it does bring me great joy. :)
I know this thread is old, I had this tank as well when I was younger (36 now)! I have been searching for one and they just aren't around anymore, glad you were able to find one. I have 2 aquariums in my hone now, a 55 gal and a 5 gal, but I would love to find another one like this, it was the beginning of my passion for fish. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, Everyone. I am new to this forum. I found it online by searching Google for a Vintage Fish Tank Forum and Planted Tank was top of the list.

Please help. I need information. I found and purchased a tank that is the same as one I had in my youth. It is a 1960s Great Western Trading Co., Inc. Plastic Earth Globe with etched continents and latitude and longitude lines. The base of the globe contains a pump and 5 Watt night light bulb.

It is in full working order and I currently have 4 White Cloud Mountain Minnows and 6 Ghost Shrimp living in it. I also have a large stem of Pothos Ivy rooting in it with the leaves sticking out of the top feeding hole. It looks very nice. I love this tank. Don't let the picture fool you, it is beautifully clear when full of water.

This is what is listed on the bottom of the tank stand:
Model No 10200
Power Supply 100 120VAC 50 60Hz
Current Rating 0 1AMP
Lamp Wattage: 5 Watts Maximum
Made in Taiwan for
Great Western Trading Co., Inc.

I would love any and all information anyone may have about it. I can't find anything online at all. I have searched and searched and searched some more.

It will only let me post 1 picture of the tank.

Thank you all for your help.

Bump: Here's a pic of the inside.

Bump: Here is the tank when I first set it up:

Bump: And, final pic of the bottom information:
I would enjoy to know how many gallons this is? I have one myself but I’m not good at measuring aquarium size

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.