The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Yesterday I purchased 3 Amano shrimp from my LFS to put into my second fish tank but I’m not 100% sure that they are Amanos. I have 3 Amanos in my first tank but these guys just don’t look alike... the new batch have light coloured eyes, appear much darker as they have lots of microscopic brown dots & don’t have the larger reddish dots/dashes. Does anybody know what these new ones are (photo attached)? Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like an Amano shrimp to me... perhaps they are still juvenile and don't have the reddish dots and lines yet. Or perhaps they got thrown into a new/different environment and need some time to recover?
My Amanos in the other tank came out to say hi so I managed to get a photo of one - I could understand if they look darker to hide when younger, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t have a yellow/white line down their backs

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately it's not an Amano. Petco (not sure where else) has been selling these as Amanos. It seems like its hard to identify the exact species. Here's one of mine.

There are also numerous threads here about it here's one with a link to some more.
Brilliant, thank you so much for this! I’m in the UK so I can’t blame Petco for this one haha! The shrimp look pretty cool & seem to be doing the job, I just wanted to check that 2020 hadn’t taken its toll on my brain & made me imagine things!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Brilliant, thank you so much for this! I’m in the UK so I can’t blame Petco for this one haha! The shrimp look pretty cool & seem to be doing the job, I just wanted to check that 2020 hadn’t taken its toll on my brain & made me imagine things!
LOL, no your doing fine. Either way they're good shrimp. Very hardy for me, but do bully my cherry shrimp somewhat during feeding time, but do not harm them.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
This is kinda funny I guess. This website is using my photo (shown above) and selling it has an Australian Amano Shrimp. And it's on sale for $19.95 no less

Hey-Thats-My-Shrimp
Funny you should mention that!!! That SECOND photo is MINE! I do not live in Australia... and that photo certainly was not shot in Australia.... but apparently, that's an Australian supplier?

@Wasserpest from my experience thus far... nope! They breed just like amanos... aka difficult.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I still wonder if they are in fact "Australian Amanos"....

And look and see what I found here....

https://www.liverpoolcreekaquariums.com/store/p1151/_Aust._Amano_Shrimp_.html

ABQ Aquatics says they used Google Images and to send a watermarked version to them for use... as somehow, taking their own photos is not an option?
Yeah, no idea if they are in fact AA. You would know better than me. So you contacted them? These companies don't understand that you can't take images from Google or anywhere else and just use them for commercial purposes. It's up to the photographer if they want to release the image for that purpose. They also cropped my image pretty tight so there might have been a small watermark (which I do sometimes) on there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it’s so much work to take their own pictures, I wonder how they feel about the actual work of keeping the shrimp in good conditions and then shipping them properly. I wouldn’t trust buying anything from people like this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi
I’m in Australia... we have loads of varieties of Australian shrimp.. send the photo to Liverpool creek aquariums and they’ll ID it for you. They’re on Facebook
Louise 😀

I’ve just put the photo up on their Facebook... see what the6 come back with

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Hi
I’m in Australia... we have loads of varieties of Australian shrimp.. send the photo to Liverpool creek aquariums and they’ll ID it for you. They’re on Facebook
Louise 😀

I’ve just put the photo up on their Facebook... see what the6 come back with
If they are a different company than ABQAquatics... well, they've also stolen our photos and used them without permission.
@Asteroid it's hard finding info sometimes on all these different species! And yes, I did contact ABQAquatics... haven't responded yet. Annoyed that a company(s) would google search images and think it's fine to use those. Not the first I've seen of it.... but first I've seen companies using my own photos! Did have a person steal a photo of a completely different animal and try to sell... scam written all over it! (due to photo and word choice)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I think the unidentified shrimps here are called gold nebula shrimps (Caridina villadolidi) by Aquatic Arts, but I can't seem to find any other sellers listing them. There is someone who claims to have breed them on reddit that says the breeding process is exactly the same as amano shrimp.
Good find. That does look like one of mine with those dusty spots. It's funny that the sellers refer them as rare, when most of us purchased from Petco for around $3. I wonder if that's the correct ID.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts