The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wanted to ask for advice from those who know more. I bought this lamp a while ago and can't find it's specs.

I've removed one of the two lights of the same model to see if a reduction in light would bring about less algae. At this point, I'm quite unsure whether my issue is too much light or, on the contrary, not enough.

If anyone has some advice on how to make the scape better, I'll happily take it.
I'll outline that I don't like the my javas in this tank, to much brown rooting out of leaves.

Specs:
nitrates > 5ppm
nitrites = 0ppm
ammonia >0 pmm but <0.25 ppm (been working on solving it)
PH > 6.4 and < 6.6.
I do add CO2, at about one bubble every 3 seconds.

Water Liquid Automotive lighting Fluid Rectangle
Water Plant Pet supply Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant

Thanks

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
What kind of light is it? Power compact? As to your issues with algae it could be a number of things. The light has a lot to do with it but increasing light never makes algae go away, curious to know why you would consider/think that. How many lighting units were you using over the tank? You said you removed one. Does that mean there was a separate unit, or are there two bulbs in this light and you took one out?

I’ve got so many questions after looking at these pics- How old is your setup? I see brown algae in there and other filamentous algae as well…BBA on your Anubias…all signs that your plants are struggling. If you are using aquasoil then you will have ammonia present especially in the early stages. But regardless, focus more on what it take to grow healthy plants. A lot of the plants we have in this hobby are low light plants anyway. I would trim back all the leaves that are affected by the algae and do some serious tank cleaning and water changes. Do you know how much co2 you are getting into the water column? Are you using a pressurized system? How are you adding additional nutrients? What is your filter? What size tank is this? 10gallon? CO2 is essential to photosynthesis, but it is not an algaecide, so you may get some responses here telling you to turn up the co2. You could but I‘d turn down the light first so you can catch up and get everything back on track.

But to start, I would do a serious serious trim and cleaning of your tank. Any of those leaves with the bba on them look pretty far gone and are just contributing to your problem. Can you take your driftwood out and scrub all the algae off it as well? Your plants all look like they are struggling. I would clean and remove all the algae that I see and Then readdress your setup. It is going to take some time for your plants to reacclimate and get back on track, but remember the more light, the more demand for nutrients. So turn the light down and start fresh. I run my light, which is a lot more powerful than yours, at around 10% intensity. Plants like anubias and Java ferns love lower light. so it’s important to understand the plants that you have and the types of lighting conditions they prefer. That goes for their placement in your scape too. Keep an eye on your plants and they will tell you what they like, but it takes time and patience to see them do such. Be patient. So many lights sold in this hobby are way more than adequate at growing plants that are available to us. But we rarely need them at full capacity, especially when over a smaller tank like yours. It can be a quick recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Questions with answers:

What kind of light is it? It's a LED light. I'm trying to figure out it's specs but I can't find it on the internet and the original box was plain carton. Power compact?

Does that mean there was a separate unit, or are there two bulbs in this light and you took one out? I had two units over the tank and only left one there.

I’ve got so many questions after looking at these pics- How old is your setup? About one month and a half. I see brown algae in there and other filamentous algae as well…BBA on your Anubias…all signs that your plants are struggling. If you are using aquasoil then you will have ammonia present especially in the early stages. But regardless, focus more on what it take to grow healthy plants. A lot of the plants we have in this hobby are low light plants anyway. I would trim back all the leaves that are affected by the algae and do some serious tank cleaning and water changes. So a heavy trim on the plants? I've already done one a 2 weeks ago but I guess I'll go again.

Do you know how much co2 you are getting into the water column? Not exactly sure.
Are you using a pressurized system? Yes.
How are you adding additional nutrients? Yes. Thrive S. About two-three times a week, recommended amount depending on the state of my nitrates. What is your filter? Internal Filter with about 260L/h (69 gallons per hour)
What size tank is this? 10gallon? Should be about 7 gallons.

Can you take your driftwood out and scrub all the algae off it as well? Can't take it out without unrooting the whole of my plants.

Other points:

Recommendation: Move the Anubias and Java to a place with less light - I thought the java's were fine since they have been breeding far too often for my comfort. Noted on the Anubias.
Recommendation:
Reduce Light - Hard to do as I have already removed one light and the light is not modulable.

I just want to be sure, is your recommendation that I rescape the tank from scratch and use the occasion to clean out "doomed" growth from the plants?

Thanks

Shao

·
Registered
12,788 Posts
Hello,

I wanted to ask for advice from those who know more. I bought this lamp a while ago and can't find it's specs.

I've removed one of the two lights of the same model to see if a reduction in light would bring about less algae. At this point, I'm quite unsure whether my issue is too much light or, on the contrary, not enough.

If anyone has some advice on how to make the scape better, I'll happily take it.
I'll outline that I don't like the my javas in this tank, to much brown rooting out of leaves.

Specs:
nitrates > 5ppm
nitrites = 0ppm
ammonia >0 pmm but <0.25 ppm (been working on solving it)
PH > 6.4 and < 6.6.
I do add CO2, at about one bubble every 3 seconds.

View attachment 1034991 View attachment 1034993

Thanks
Looks like a Finnex fugeray clone of some type. Only one I know of with that offset gooseneck.

Are they any other than white diodes in it?
DON'T look directly at it btw..

Reactions: Immortal1

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a Finnex fugeray clone of some type. Only one I know of with that offset gooseneck.

Are they any other than white diodes in it? No other diodes but some white ones and these weird yellow ones.
DON'T look directly at it btw.. Now, I know why. :'D
Not really, this is what the underside looks like:
Rectangle Gas Cabinetry Machine Shelving

In essence, I just don't know what the wattage, lux, lumens, par on this is. Is it the right temperature? Not too sure :/

Rectangle Gas Cabinetry Machine Shelving

In essence, I just don't know what the wattage, lux, lumens, par on this is. Is it the right temperature? Not too sure :/
It kind of looks like the nicrew screw on but maybe an older version:

Link below:

·
Registered
12,788 Posts
View attachment 1034995

Chinese have made dozens of lights under dozens of names.
You could use a kill a watt meter to get the watt draw.
Or dissect it snd get the voltage and amp draw of the led board.

A guess would be 7w or less.
Color temp is irrelivant for the most part.
Light looks pretty " clean" soo 5600k or greater is a possibility.

Measuring the diode dimensions in mm will get you the class of diode.
I.e. 3.5 x 6mm is a sm3560.

Output of the power supply might help.
Like 12v 1amp.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. Great that you are getting a lot of responses. Having two units over your tank was a huge contributor for the algae explosion. There are a couple additional ways of reducing your light further if there is no dimmer etc. You can use mesh window screen over the top of your tank or cut out a piece and attach it under your light. I have an old Ada solar mini light that I do this with because it is way too powerful for the plants I am growing. The light is filtered through the screen. You can even cover up some of the led diodes to reduce the amount of light as well. That is a possibility if the splash shield (piece of plastic protecting the lights doesn’t get extremely hot).

It would benefit you to try to understand how much co2 you are adding to your tank especially if it is pressurized. There are a gazillion threads and posts out there that can help you learn how to do that. As for your java ferns, they love low light. When they start producing new leaves from old leaves isn’t always a sign that they are doing well. Most cases it means, IME, that the plant is reproducing and is starting anew and poor growth is a contributing factor to this. When the plant reproduces from it’s rhizome, you are in business, and that’s a good thing. You can snip those new leaflets and use them and discard the old leaf they are growing from.

Whether your rescape the tank or not is up to you. My main recommendation is to lower your light intensity and manually remove the algae that you see. If that means cutting the leaves off that have collected the algae, especially the bba, then that is what you should do. Plants like Anubias can adapt to some pretty vigorous cleaning and h2o2 treatment, But if the leaves are covered with bba then I say snip them off.

It is going to take time and patience for things to shift. Don’t expect immediate results. Keep up with your water changes and adjust your light settings. Again, your main problem was blasting two units over that tank. Running to just one unit was the right step. How much you reduce the light after that. Is up to you and your plant growth will point you in the right direction. Also study up on co2 and how to add it and diffuse it and measure it in your water. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your help, I'm going to re-scape the tank based on the lighting levels needed for each plant and the light I currently have.

I don't know if you have some tips on this but:

• should I dip the wood in hydrogen peroxide or should I just tooth brush it?
  • how do I remove the algae from my MC carpet?

Best,
- shao

Edit: I'm not going to do a full clean of the tank because I do not have a place for the livestock in the meantime. I will just clean the plants, re-arrange the hardscape, remove visible algae and place the plants.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plant Water Plant community Vertebrate Botany

Post chain saw massacre update.
The Monte Carlo and Java ferns were too far gone to be saved. I’ve moved the plants that require medium to high light in the most exposed areas and hidden away the anubias, Amazon swords and other plants.
Removed the hair grass from the smaller tank and moved it here.
Removed some of the rosanervig and moved it here.

increased co2 to one bubble every 2.5 secs and drop checker is steadily in the green.
Temporarily leaving the light as is, while I watch how the tank adapts from the removal of one light and the use of the aquarium cover (glass but should reduce overall light due to condensation). If it looks like it’s too much, I’ll partially cover it with some mesh.

I will just need to figure out how to accurately dose my fertilizers now.

While I feel like crying when seeing the massacre, I’m sure it’s for the best.
Thank you all for your help.
-shao

1 - 10 of 10 Posts