The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad I didn't buy a centerpiece...

This white fuzz or fungus has appeared in my tank. Last thing I introduced was a catfish seven months ago so it wasn't that.

It forms rings on the eyes of my fish, white 3d cloudy rings, and then sprouts all over them, appearing to be coming from under or between their scales. I did an emergency 25% water change last night when I first noticed it, and again just a few hours ago. So far, I've removed 6 dead fish that were healthy just a few days ago.

My danios and loaches are dying or dead, and my tetras are all affected and probably won't make it to tomorrow. I dosed my tank with Paraguard, and an hour later the fungus was no longer so evident so I thought I was okay, but I found 3 dead fish an hour later (now to my total of 6).

I don't want to lose everything in my tank but I can't seem to identify what's killing them? Can anyone identify it for me and tell me how to help save the rest of my tank?

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't get long and fluffy, though, it's just tiny white dots and patches along the fins and mouth. Are my fish just dying too fast for it to get fluffy?

Though I suppose no matter what kind of fungal infection, if it is one, would call for what I'm already doing. I guess I'll just keep up on the water and Paraguard and hope at least a few survive.

Thank you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Id do a big water change, gravel vac all the bottom etc to try and get as much of the nasty's out of the tank. But while the water is low id catch all the fish, stick them in a bucket and medicate the bucket to carry out a medicated bath. You def want malachite green, as it looks very much like saprolegia. The dark coloured cory in your first pic certainly classify's as what they talk about with long and fluffy.

If you want to try to really knock it on the head, use acriflavine and malachite green. You can get them separately, but their are combination meds on the market that that have both already mixed in. When i do medicated baths, i usually do them for 20 to 30 mins. As soon as i have finished getting the water out of the tank, i catch the fish stick them in a bucket and start the treatment. While i finish of what ever im going to do with the tank and refill. So i can keep an eye on the fish and not walk of an forget lols. Then after the bath id add the fish back to the tank and continue with treatment of paraguard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.