The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I don't have any pics yet because I just got the fish. It was sold as a sunset gourami, but the guy didn't seem too sure(he said that they got some gouramis in and that they threw them in to the tank before identifying them). It's pretty small, about an inch to an inch and a half. It's a nice reddish orange throughout most of it's body. But here's the part that's confusing me.....it's blue on it's back in the rear. I've found plenty of orange and blue gourami's online, but not one with the blue in the upper rear of it(most are blue on their bottom or near the head). I'll try to get some pics later, but does anyone have any info on this guy? I have two of them and I only paid $4 each at the LFS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See how that one has blue on the top and in the front? This one has blue in the back. And the wierd thing is that it isn't a "metallic" blue. It almost looks navy"ish". Part of me wonders if it's a manmade color. It doesn't look realistic. It's really odd. I'll try to get some pics this weekend and find somewhere to host them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Kinda looks like a dyed male honey gourami to me. Anyone else see it? could be a weird color morph or crossbreed of colisa lalia, labiosa or chuna, but the color on the tail and the body doesn't look natural. Usually they color up along their belly once they're ready for breeding and it'll be a dark black color - the area above their lateral line will go yellow.

from http://www.firsttankguide.net/painted.php
"Honey Gourami are being injected with blue dye between the caudal and dorsal fins on the top of the caudal peduncle to produce a 'blue sunset gourami' and a 'green sunset gourami.' "

-Rich

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm inclined to think that it might be dyed as well. Like I said originally, it looks almost manmade. Although in the pic I took it looks more metallic. In my tank it doesn't look as metallic. The fish are really active and they definetly eat. I just hope they don't die because of it. Anyone else have an opinion?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If it is dyed, I'd say exhange it for a normal colored one... It's nearly certain that it won't have the lifespan of an undyed fish.

-Rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts