The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to tell just from those pics. There could be a number of reasons why that leaf looks like that. Are you adding fertilizers to your water? Why not grab a phosphate kit and test your water to give you am idea of whats in it...in the meantime id snip that leaf off.
They're getting ADA Green Brightly Ferts daily, so they should be fine. That being said I'm concerned because it's happening on the new growth. I Should go out and get that test. I've got the Master kit and the GH and KH test. All those look fine The only issues I can indentify are low Nitrates, can't get them to break above 5ppm and the ph is averaging 8.0 possibly limiting nutrient uptake. They only other issue I can think of is a Baby bristlenose pleco possibly eating them.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
There’s a lot of other things at play here. What Green Brighty product are you dosing? They have a handful of different green brighty products. Do you have aquasoil As well? What kind of water are you using? Tap, distilled, RO, Rain...pond...If you are wondering if something is because of a phosphate deficiency than that’s easy to test so instead of guessing by looking you can test and know for sure. How are you testing your nitrates (with what test). I don’t know much about the rest of your tank so when you say you can’t get your nitrates to break above 5ppm how are you specifically trying to do that? It’s pretty easy to get your nitrates up so I’m curious about your method of dosing. If you are relying on only fish and plant waste and food then you are limiting N so you will have issues with plant growth in the water. When you say your GH and KH look fine, what does that mean specifically? Are you dosing co2? WHat kind of light and how much light? Etc. lots of other things at play here...Lot‘s of questions, but whey you have a problem you want to solve in this hobby, these are some of the questions that need to be answered, and hopefully it will make it clearer to you what specifically is going on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tank is a 55 gallon. Half hard high ph tap water. - GH 11° KH 11° Ph 8.4 and half filter water (Current parameters are GH 6° KH 5° Ph 7.8) I'm using near the full line of Green Brightly Ferts - K, Mineral, Nitrogen, iron, vita mix. Also dosing Easy Carbon Fish include 4 year old Discus 6 angels, 3 Bristlenose plecos, 15 Otocinclus. Feeding consists of all freeze dried. Feeding is 4 times daily- 2 Squares of brine, 2 square tubiflex, Teaspoon Blood worms, Teaspoon either Vibrabites or discus bio gold. Substrate is eco complete but all plants are Anubias and Java fern types so nothing is planted in the Substrate. Tank has been running for a year. I only water change 5 gallons twice per week. Dose ferts daily. I Test weekly with API liquids

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Whoa nice fish. I love Discus and Angelfish. What kind of Discus do you have and how have they been doing with the pH? (Obviously they have adapted well if you’ve had them for a year).

What kind of light are you running- intensity...duration...etc If all you have are epiphytes and have been dosing all of those green brighty ferts than I don’t think you are lacking in the nutrient department especially with the plants that you have which are slow growers...but how many plants do you have in there? Is it sparely planted or is it some crazy meadow of epiphytes. Post a pic when you get a chance. Curious how often you are dosing as well. But again, I don’t think nutrients are an issue. The API nitrate test kit isn’t the best so your readings may not be extremely accurate with that one... but how do the rest of the plants look. That leaf damage may be from the bristlenoses ALTHOUGH they are usually not keen to eating plants, but if their food source is scarce then maybe that could be what is happening. It’s rare but I have heard of some people that have experienced them eating their sword plants. Anyway, looking forward to seeing a pic of this tank and those fish. Maybe throw a piece of blanched cucumber or zucchini in their and see if the plecos flock to it. If your other plants are looking good healthy and this damage is only on this leaf then I’d clip it and not be too concerned with specific nutrients. Those are very hardy plants. Best, el g

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For lighting I've got a Current USA Orbit Marine (yes I know: The tank housed africans at first hence the lighting) however it has adjustable Spectrum led. My setting are as follows, 6:30Am Dose all ferts 7am Lights on at 5%White 15%red 10%blue 25%green with 3 wave pumps on at 30% power alternating 7sec internals 7:30 feed Brine. 8 am Lights set 25% white 50% red 75%green 25%blue 2pm Lights 50%white 75%red 100%green 25%blue Wave pumps 100%power alternating 3secs feed tubiflex. 5pm Lights back down 25% white 50% red 100% green 25% blue wave pumps down to 50% alternating 3secs feed Blood worms. 8pm Lights down 10% white 25% red 50% green 10% blue wave pumps down to 30% alternating 7secs feed other usually Vibrabites. 10pm lights down 5% white 0% red 10% green 0% blue Wave pumps off. 11pm all lights off. Also Bubble curtain at back wall is run continuously at 285GPH of air. Filter is 525GPH canister with 9Watt UV. Temp is set a 83.5F As for the fish from what I've been told they were bread in local hard water and have been in a ph range of 8.4 to 8.2 Their entire life, mainly stuck at the 8.0 range with me which has also been another ongoing issue. I've been changing 5 gallons twice weekly with 7.0 ph bottled water to keep the ph down. Recently I've dosed ADA soft water at a quarter dose to drop it from 8.0 to 7.8 I don't want to mess with the fish adaptation too much but I'm thinking the plants are having trouble taking in the ferts with such a high ph. Also its not just one leaf dying off. The older growth was having issues, leaves turning yellow at the edge and then melting off. Ferns were getting black edge holes. I didn't really feal concerned until the new growth came out looking like the photos. No discoloration, just melding edge. The plecos have plenty of diatoms to eat and they're only half inch babies. I do have a racer snail and some nerites as well. Only rock is the small Seiryu stone seen. The driftwood if fake store bought ornament. There is also some java moss, but it was removed as it wasn't doing well.

For lighting I've got a Current USA Orbit Marine (yes I know: The tank housed africans at first hence the lighting) however it has adjustable Spectrum led. My setting are as follows, 6:30Am Dose all ferts 7am Lights on at 5%White 15%red 10%blue 25%green with 3 wave pumps on at 30% power alternating 7sec internals 7:30 feed Brine. 8 am Lights set 25% white 50% red 75%green 25%blue 2pm Lights 50%white 75%red 100%green 25%blue Wave pumps 100%power alternating 3secs feed tubiflex. 5pm Lights back down 25% white 50% red 100% green 25% blue wave pumps down to 50% alternating 3secs feed Blood worms. 8pm Lights down 10% white 25% red 50% green 10% blue wave pumps down to 30% alternating 7secs feed other usually Vibrabites. 10pm lights down 5% white 0% red 10% green 0% blue Wave pumps off. 11pm all lights off. Also Bubble curtain at back wall is run continuously at 285GPH of air. Filter is 525GPH canister with 9Watt UV. Temp is set a 83.5F As for the fish from what I've been told they were bread in local hard water and have been in a ph range of 8.4 to 8.2 Their entire life, mainly stuck at the 8.0 range with me which has also been another ongoing issue. I've been changing 5 gallons twice weekly with 7.0 ph bottled water to keep the ph down. Recently I've dosed ADA soft water at a quarter dose to drop it from 8.0 to 7.8 I don't want to mess with the fish adaptation too much but I'm thinking the plants are having trouble taking in the ferts with such a high ph. Also its not just one leaf dying off. The older growth was having issues, leaves turning yellow at the edge and then melting off. Ferns were getting black edge holes. I didn't really feal concerned until the new growth came out looking like the photos. No discoloration, just melding edge. The plecos have plenty of diatoms to eat and they're only half inch babies. I do have a racer snail and some nerites as well. Only rock is the small Seiryu stone seen. The driftwood if fake store bought ornament. There is also some java moss, but it was removed as it wasn't doing well.
Also I was using jusy Aquarium Co-Op All On one and iron fetts twice a week to start but noticed the older leaves turning yellow at the edges so assumed it was a Potassiaum deficiency, then switched over to the ADA line. I assume the nitrates are low due to the clean feeding of mostly pure freezed dried foods as opposed to nutrient dense manufactured foods. As well as the plant load. The water flow is fairly well rounded so not much in way of detritus build up. The only food heavy enough to reach the substrate is the Vibrabites which are picked off eventually by the angels. Any build up that accumulates is taken care of daily once the wave pumps are at 100% and the bubble certain lifts it all into the intake.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Trying to understand your light schedule. When you say “wave pump” you mean that you are simulating water movement with a pump yeah? The power head in the corner right? Sorry but you mentioned “wave pumps” in your lighting description so wasn’t sure if that was something else I’m missing that has something to do with the lights.

Going to try to overly simplify your lighting here in my reply to make it easier to understand. The way you describe it is a little confusing to read with the way it appears on the screen for me:

So you are essentially running your lights as follows (again this is a rough explanation of it)

-ON at 7am at 15-20%%
-8am 50%
-2pm 75%
-5pm 50%
-8pm 25%
-10pm 5%
-OFF 11pm 0%

I’d say this could be your problem. Your photo period is too long for your slow growing plants. You have around 12 hours of light on your tank for a photoperiod of usable light for your plants. I see your period essentially going from 8am-8pm. I’d trim the problematic leaves and reduce your photoperiod, like cut it in half or give yourself a 4 - 6 hour peak with a 1 hour ramp up and 1 hour ramp down...you can figure that out on your own to what you prefer. Regarding light intensity, I don‘t know the exact par/pur info for your light, but I wouldn’t push it over 70% at it’s peak. You may be experiencing issues in plant growth because your light is excessive in duration and possibly intensity. Many if not most aquatic plants in nature photosynthesize at their peak during a 4 hour peak of sun light. When you over-light your tank you are going to start to see discoloration and even deformation of plant growth and algae will start to show it’s ugly and beautiful head. Plants can adapt but with a super long photoperiod like yours they will be effected by it and show health issues. It’s easier to think of your light as a gas pedal as well. The more you push it, the more your plants will need co2 and ferts...and if you floor it you will eventually run out of gas and could even destroy your engine (algae farm).

The easy carbo as a liquid supplement can work and also helps to prevent some algae however it is not as efficient as pressurized co2. I actually have started adding excel in addition to my pressurized setups after a minor bout of staghorn algae and found the overall plant health to be positive with the addition of it so I’m going to keep using it.

I see that you have moss in the tank. What kind is that? It‘s color doesn’t look very good...almost looks like it sits under the decorative wood and is in total shadow. It looks brown and no bueno.

How long have you had your tank setup with these plants? Is that decorative/fake wood in there? And is the stone for the discuss to breed on?

Hope that helps man. I run my low light and high light tanks with 6 hour peaks and a 8 hour total light cycle. Your tank would look cool as a black water setup if you added some peat. It would naturally lower the acidity of the water and darken it as well, which would reducing the light intensity that hits the plants and more natural for the discus. But that’s a very specific look, however your low light plants would grow in it. I’d say fix your lighting schedule and intensity first if you don’t want to go down that road. Good luck. -el g

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.