The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some worms in my ten gallon planted, right now it houses cherry shrimp but I recently had an unexpected unexplained female Betta death.

I tried to get pics last night but I'm still figuring out the macro settings.

It's a small thin white worm that appears to be segmented.
I haven't seen any in the substrate, they hang out at the surface in the floating plants. When they swim freely they wiggle, like an S shape.

I never saw any worms on the fish.

I also observed last night a small surface crawling worm, white/clear looking it moves kinda slow, snail like. It was on the glass.

I'd like to find out what they are and how to get them out.

Thanks!
Jasmine

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have some worms in my ten gallon planted, right now it houses cherry shrimp but I recently had an unexpected unexplained female Betta death.

I tried to get pics last night but I'm still figuring out the macro settings.

It's a small thin white worm that appears to be segmented.
I haven't seen any in the substrate, they hang out at the surface in the floating plants. When they swim freely they wiggle, like an S shape.

I never saw any worms on the fish.

I also observed last night a small surface crawling worm, white/clear looking it moves kinda slow, snail like. It was on the glass.

I'd like to find out what they are and how to get them out.

Thanks!
Jasmine
It's probably just a free-living nematode. I'd be surprised if it caused any problems for you. I get them in my shrimp tanks sometimes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine were introduced by live plants. The population exploaded at first but over the course of a month they all starved out and died. Just watch your feeding and they should die out

·
Registered
361 Posts
Fish eat em, but fish can be a problem in a shrimp tank. Reduce feedings and the population should dwindle.

I kinda like em, but I'm weird like that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If they are segmented, Then they are annelids not nematodes. A really strong magnifier should show 2 hairs coming from each segment.

Detritus worms are annelids so that would be my guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts