The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

First off, here is my fert and light situation:
Dosing flourish 2x a week per package direction, and Excel every other day per package directions, and iron 2x a week
Light - fluval plant 3.0, running 100% for 6 hours a day
Running CO2

As I understand it, flourish is not really an all in one solution, so I'm planning to order some APT complete this evening and make the switch to that. I'm also going to stop using the excel.

Anyway, on to my questions - I've got 2 plants here, and I'm not sure what they're called. The first plant here, I have two of them. One of them has remained mostly unchanged (first pic), and the other has sprouted a million roots on the leaves, and appears to be developing a new rhizome on the ends of a few of them. So, my questions for this plant are - why is this happening? Is it good/bad/indifferent? Can trim the new plant growth off the tip of the leaf onced it gets large enough, and use it to propagate the plant?

For this second plant, again I don't know what it's called. My question is - why are there so many roots in the water column? This looks similar to some kind of hygrophilia I think, but I"m not sure. It's really unsightly, (I feel the same way about the plant above). I'm wondering if this is being caused by nutrient deficiency, and is something that may be addressed by using a better fert regimen.

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide. The tank is getting close to 2 months old, and I'm really interested in trying to clean up the scape a bit and make things a bit more presentable overall. The second plant here is definitely in need of a trim, as it's coming out of the water, but the prospects of hacking away at it are some what intimidating.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
First off don't keep changing your fert regimen or your ferts so fast. It takes time for any change you make to show up on the plants. Keeping a planted tank as a going concern is a balancing act. If you are using CO2 then the ferts are a different thing. Search here on the forum for fert regimens and you will find what I mean.
Now to your original question, the first pic looks like a Java Fern. This is a slow growing plant in a low tech tank and I cannot speak of how it does with CO2, but it puts out roots to feed from the water column and plantlets to propagate in low tech setups. The second one looks like Water Sprite a very fast growing stem plant. I have some that grow out of the tank. I just trim them back every week or 2. They are excellent at using nitrates and most fish love them for their ability to be used as a hiding/birthing place and then as a hiding place for fry. They just put out roots like that. Doesn't mean anything other than they are growing....lol Once mine get so tall I take them out and trim the tops and replant them and toss the bottom parts. You can just trim the tops and replant them and the bottoms will put out 2 shoots where you cut them. Don't be intimidated to trim them. If you like just try a stem or 2 and see what happens. Before long you will be trimming away like a pro. Just remember the main thing about planted tanks is patience, patience, patience. You have found the best place on the internet to find answers to your questions, so ask away. This is a giant resource of info and people are always friendly and helpful.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You are welcome, but I am sure some other forum members can put in more info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts