The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I hope I am putting this thread in the right place.

Recently, I have decided to convert an old empty 20 gallon long tank into a partial plant nursery tank. I am going to split it with a divider and have one side planted/aquascaped and the other side I want to put removable containers for cuttings to grow out in. I'm not sure if anyone has ever done anything the way I am hoping to. I have seen people use little plastic containers as the beds for their cuttings but I am curious if there is a specific type of plastic I should look for. Is there any plastics that could be harmful to fish/invertebrates over time?

If anyone has done something like this, I would love if you could link the types of containers you used!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use 'food-grade' plastic pots (desserts and other tubs from supermarket foods). If its OK for human consumption should be OK for an aquarium. I like to use pots for my plant tank to let me move things around. I use Seachem Flourish/Advance (equal parts of each) and ADA Amazonia V2 Aquasoil, no CO2, and it works well with a variety of plants (haven't found a plant I can't grow with that routine yet). Dose daily or 2x/week, 50% water change weekly. IKEA GU10 spot lights.
Had some healthy crypts up the back but they died when I went away and turned off 1 spot light, but am planning to replant them soon.

Just an idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I bought plastic canvas (for cross-stitching I think) from the fabric store, cut and sewed it into box-shaped containers with fishing line. Filled them w/my usual substrate and I still have several planted with vals and crypts in my 45g. Takes a little time but you can make any size or even shape you want.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Terra cotta flower pots work great. Potting soil with some gravel on top and your plants will thrive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.