The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a noob...

anyways, I just started a 55 gal tank a little over a week ago. I have 3 gold Gouramis, 3 tin foil barbs, 3 tiger barbs, 1 pleco, 1 parrot fish..All seem to be doin well with each other..

What other fish would be a good to add in there?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Tiger barbs, to me, rules out shrimp unless you're feeling lucky. A great big shoal of them does look pretty nice, though.
I agree, my Tiger barbs loved shrimp cocktails, but they weren't in the original stocking list, and wouldn't last against a parrot fish.

Not only do Tiger barbs they look nice, but they have great personalities that really come out when they are comfortable in a bigger group. Mine followed me around like a little stalking wolf pack.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade, but did you cycle the tank with established media? I am concerned you may get an ammonia spike adding that many fish in the first week. If the tank isn't fully cycled, I wouldn't add anything else yet.

And tin foil barbs get big. Real big.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't want to rain on your parade, but did you cycle the tank with established media? I am concerned you may get an ammonia spike adding that many fish in the first week. If the tank isn't fully cycled, I wouldn't add anything else yet.

And tin foil barbs get big. Real big.
i had it established for about a week and ive been testing the water about every 12hrs.
And if the tin foil barbs get way to big, i have another 55gal tank that im not using so i could always start another.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Wood Shrimp?

I'm totally newbie to the way you guys do things here, I have a very different tank. not a visually beautiful at all.

I would reccomend one of those Big shrimp with feather mitts like the wood shrimp. they tend to hide, seem big enough to scare off predators, and do AMAZING THINGS for water clarity.

I expect to be rebuked by someone who actually knows what they're talking about, though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm totally newbie to the way you guys do things here, I have a very different tank. not a visually beautiful at all.

I would reccomend one of those Big shrimp with feather mitts like the wood shrimp. they tend to hide, seem big enough to scare off predators, and do AMAZING THINGS for water clarity.

I expect to be rebuked by someone who actually knows what they're talking about, though.

just curious, do you have a pic of this shrimp?

·
Banned
29 Posts
mine looks like that, but I'm not sure mine's actually a "wood" shrimp. I used to have a wood shrimp and it was brown, but I think that was a "singapore wood shrimp." I think i have some pink kind of wood shrimp. It just hides most of time, I see about every three weeks so i don't have a picture

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.