The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to move my 55g about 1 foot to the right of where it currently is. I'd like to do so without removing the tank from the stand, and without draining the aquarium more than 80% (so leaving about 10g of water in the tank), and without removing any of the fish/plants/inverts/substrate/hardscape. Stand I built myself from 3/4" veneer maple ply, reinforced with extra strips of ply. Stand probably weighs a bit more than 200 lbs empty. I plan to completely empty the stand of course.

If I'm lucky, I'll be able to simply lift the stand and partially empty tank from the lip around the top with the help of a couple housemates (I'm not the strongest, but not the weakest). The top lip is pocket screwed and glued together, then was glued, clamped, and finish nailed to the stand. Not sure if it will hold up to lifting the weight of the tank and stand. It overlaps the main frame of the stand ~3". [Any yes, I never got around to putting the doors on the stand, I have the material but just haven't had the time. Too many other home improvement projects have taken priority unfortunately]

My other thought is to lift up one side at a time with a prybar, while the other end is secured, and slip a dozen or more pieces of black iron pipe or large dowel under the stand to roll the whole unit on.

Am I missing a simpler way to do this?

1026229
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Y


Yes. Unless you have a remarkably good reason that you have not revealed I would drain the tank to 20% and just inch it the 12 "...
Sorry, by drain 80%, I meant leaving 20% of the water, not 80%. I see how that could be confusing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, get on one side after draining it absolutely as far as it will go and just push it. It will slide across to its new position.

Don't over think it ;P
Haha, yeah I'm probably over thinking it and hoping that it will be as simple as empty, pickup, move, fill, but have never had to move a tank like this before so wanted to see if anyone out there had some bright ideas to try out. I don't want to get the tank empty and the filter disconnected and then have to make an hour+ round trip to the hardware store to get dowels or something to then cut. Also, no idea how heavy it's going to end up being, or how strong the stand will be (though I carried the stand upstairs from the rim with no problems), etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
For moves like that I sit my butt on the floor on the left of the tank then push the bottom of the stand with my legs... hopefully being able to keep my butt from sliding by bracing it against a wall or something. If you DO have to reduce the sliding friction to get it to move without marring up your floor I would pry and put a folded up towel or old piece of carpet under each side of the stand to reduce friction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,078 Posts
Haha, yeah I'm probably over thinking it and hoping that it will be as simple as empty, pickup, move, fill, but have never had to move a tank like this before so wanted to see if anyone out there had some bright ideas to try out. I don't want to get the tank empty and the filter disconnected and then have to make an hour+ round trip to the hardware store to get dowels or something to then cut. Also, no idea how heavy it's going to end up being, or how strong the stand will be (though I carried the stand upstairs from the rim with no problems), etc.
Look at furniture sliders.
Just a thought
 
  • Like
Reactions: ererer

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to move it fairly easily without removing any fish or plants by draining the tank most of the way and scooting it (sort of lifting slightly and sliding) without much trouble. I only had to go a foot. Thanks for the tips everyone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Not only did you move the tank over a foot... you also finally answered the age old question "How many fish nerds does it take to move a 55g tank over 1 foot?". 5 - 1 to do the work and 4 to tell him how to do it!

LOL!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top