The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I will be picking up my 70 gallon aquarium over the weekend, I am not looking to stock it until probably end of November beginning of December as there will be other things I'll need to get in order first...

I was just wondering what you guys think of my idea for stocking the tank:

6 x Diamond Tetras
2 x Angel fish (as centre piece fish)
10 x Neon Tetras
10 x Glow Light Tetras
6 x Congo Tetra

Would all of these fish be compatible? Would the tank be too heavily stocked? I would need some bottom feeding species as well.

If all is good with my list, what type of plants would be best suited for these fish? Are they destructive to plants?

I have lots of questions but I don't want you guys to think I'm a moron so I'll wait until these get answered and then maybe some of my other questions will be answered as consequence :) thanks!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yea .... as long as the Tetras have established thier area BEFORE adding the Angels.

Actually I would stay away from the smaller variety of tetras (neon & Glow light) Go with Cardinals and Rummies.
Up your Angels +1

I would go with either
6-8 Corydoras sterbai or
6-8 Corydoras paleatus
Angels should be the LAST thing added, months down the road.

None are "Destructive" to plants..However Angels do nip at plants, that's why my tank has plenty of Java Moss, my Angels nip at it all the time.

Whats your filtration going to be?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooh, and I like the Cardinal Tetra as a replacement! They look pretty much the same, but bigger. The rummy however, I'm not crazy about, is there another alternative that could fit nicely? :)

Edit to add:
What about the black convict tetra instead of the rummy tetra?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice! I like them!

If I were to omit the angels and get a different type of fish as a centrepiece fish, what would you guys suggest with the new tetra list:
6 x diamond tetras
6 x congo tetras
10 x Blue Emperor Tetras
10 x Cardinal Tetras
+ cories.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Not 100% sure what type of filter, never had a tank this size so I'm really new to it all. What would you suggest?
A lot of people will probably recommend a canister for a tank this big. I've never used one so I can't help with that, however I have had nothing but good experiences with my AquaClear 110 on my 75 gallon tank and that is with some messy fish fish like bichirs and now a community setup that will include a couple large schools of tetras.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Not 100% sure what type of filter, never had a tank this size so I'm really new to it all. What would you suggest?
How about "FRESH WATER SALTWATER FISH TANK FILTER KIT 100 GALLONS"
ebay
All Catagories>Pet Supplies>Aquarium&Fish>Filtration&Heating>Filtration = CANISTER
49.99 free shipping.

The rummy however, I'm not crazy about, is there another alternative that could fit nicely? :)

Edit to add:
What about the black convict tetra instead of the rummy tetra?
Never heard of Black Convict tetra, I have heard of a Black Neon Tetra. Sorry I am a Rummy fan

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Silvertips are one of my favorites. (I'm a rummy fan too: both the tetras and the tiny asian rummy rasboras)

I want to find these, but can't anywhere other than Aquabid

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I was looking at that online today, I really like the larger media holding cap. Aquaclear's get bad press for being "clunky". I've read that is only when the water level drops.

So how quiet is it?
That's true...when the water level is up the filter is nearly silent. Once it drops down enough that you get micro bubbles in the tank it can be a little noisy but still not so much that I would not get one because of it. If the water level is that low...it should be filled anyways. I just look at it like a built in water level indicator...lol

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
... I just look at it like a built in water level indicator...lol
:biggrin:

Well there you go! You should send that one into their marketing dept.!

I had thought about hiding a powerhead/sponge filter in my 40B. I don't want to give up the floorspace. I don't really want to deal with a canister filter. If i was going to do that, I might as well build a wet/dry sump.

I do really like the larger media volume of the 110. I have some 30PPI black foam that I prefer for a filter media over supplied cartridges.

I hate looking at equipment in an Aquarium. I'd rather see one intake from a HOB that two pipes from a canister.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, so the filter that comes with the tank is an AquaClear 500 Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm loving how this topic has swayed because its still extremely helpful :) hope it doesn't bug anyone else.

I'm going to have to look more closely into the rummy tetras, its easy to say I don't like them based on a picture, but if I see the in person, my opinion may very well change.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I say get less schools, and make them larger. In my old 75g I ran planted, rena xp3 canister filter and had 17 black phantom tetras, 17 serpae tetras, 4 Angels, and 8 sterbai corys.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you are like me and like keeping livestock from only one part of the world in a particular tank, I'd replace the congo tetras with something else since they are not from South America like the rest of the fish on your list.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.