The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is 9 months old, not a great depth of gravel, around 0.75 inches, with java fern, water wisteria and (recently added) duckweed to help control my nitrates.

The tank is 4ft x 18in x 18in, so around 255 litres. Filter is 1400 flow rate external, with additional 1.4 litre cannister for mechanical filtration.

The reason I went for Java Fern and Water Wisteria, was that my substrate was not that great in depth and would struggle to put plants in the substrate. I let my water wisteria float whilst it developed roots and tied these to rocks, in the same way Java Fern is tied.

I realise I am getting to my limit of fish, hence getting the duckweed to help control the nitrate level. This is between 10 and 20 at the moment, as I cannot distinguish between the two colours. I started out with 10 neon tetras, 2 female guppies and 1 male endler. I think you can guess what has happened.

I would like to add some new plant variety, but unsure which would be best, taking my gravel depth into consideration.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Is would recommend "Super Red Ludwiga": Ludwigia Natans Super Red.

It has grown very well for me. I believe it is a water column feeder. It should be a great contrast to your green plants and give your aquascape a nice splash of color.

Hornwort is another very easy growing plant that should add a great textural contrast to your tank. Hornwort: The Complete Care Guide

P.S. In my opinion you should be controlling your Nitrate levels with water changes. The plants will add a bit of buffer which should help extend water change periods a bit but I would recommend doing a large water change when your nitrates get much above 10ppm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

My lighting system is the Fluval Aquasky 2.0 which I understand to be perfec for plants requiring low to medium light.

Regarding Super Red Ludwiga , with my lighting, do you think I will be able to bring out the red in it? Would you recommend, as AVN as suggested, planting in small pot?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

My lighting system is the Fluval Aquasky 2.0 which I understand to be perfec for plants requiring low to medium light.

Regarding Super Red Ludwiga , with my lighting, do you think I will be able to bring out the red in it? Would you recommend, as AVN as suggested, planting in small pot?
Stemmed plants are usually leaf feeders and get very little of their nutrients from the substrate. For stemmed plants I would just put a weight on them and stick them in the gravel. Rooting plants like amazon swords would receive considerable benefit from potting like AVN suggested.

Super Red Ludwiga is going to have some shades of red in it regardless of conditions. Good light and CO2 will bring out the brightest tones of red. If you set your expectations for more muted reds with perhaps a little green in it I think you will be very pleased with Super Red Ludwiga. I think it is a beautiful plant that contrasts well against green plants even when it has more muted colors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.