The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have large glass jug of the sort you often see people put pocket change into. It measures 12" in diameter, and the cylindrical portion is 24" tall (I'll look up the formula and convert this to water volume) it tapers from there to a 1" neck opening. I've been wanting to plant and possibly stock it for sometime, but haven't decided how to go about it, or what would be good to go in it. I've considered drilling it for bulkheads for filtration, but am leaning toward unfiltered. What would you do with something like this?

Registered
馃榿 ntp/ walstad vase or a hybrid of sorts using aquasoil instead of dirt. Shrimp and snails or just shrimp or a single betta if heated.... I've been thinking of hauling out one of my old vases to do this with.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
those are good ideas. I have to contend with the 1" opening though. The only wood I can get through it has to be pretty straight. I can poke plants through with long tweezers. Once in, any fish aren't coming out again while they are still living. I may just try to fill it with plants. An underwater forest in a bottle.

Registered
Oh shoot I misread. I wouldn鈥檛 use that vase with the 1鈥 opening; it鈥檚 gonna make cleaning the sides of the tank and any real planting impossible.

those are good ideas. I have to contend with the 1" opening though. The only wood I can get through it has to be pretty straight. I can poke plants through with long tweezers. Once in, any fish aren't coming out again while they are still living. I may just try to fill it with plants. An underwater forest in a bottle.

Super Moderator
I'm not sure if it would jeopardize the structural integrity of the jar/jug or not but have you considered fully cutting the top off? I mean in a clean manner that would allow it to be placed back on top as a lid of sorts. Enough to allow you to get your hands inside when necessary.

I've kept a few filterless vases for a number of years and they work well when heavily planted. Also keep some moderately planted vases with tiny, concealable sponge filters and they work really well.

Here's one type I use:

Easy to disguise and hide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.