The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my concerns regarding choosing a capping sand.

1) The black gravel is 5 mm average size Automotive tire Grey Asphalt Bedrock Road surface . Diana in her book recommends 2-3 mm and advises against anything more than this as it causes the dirt to accumulate in the gaps and anaerobic.

2) The white sands are of the right dimensions Flooring Chemical compound Font Pattern Fashion accessory Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish . But I do not like white even though it is all going to be covered with plants. The dirt shows much worse on it and it looks unnatural under water. I do not have black soil of the same size.

Questions,
Is 5 mm gravel fine? will it create anaerobic pockets? or is it better because it does not seal the soil under layer and make it anaerobic.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'd personally stay away from the 5mm stuff it's a bit large for a cap.

I've used #20 pool filter sand (off white) a few times it's .8mm without any issues and is about $9 for a 50lb bag at Menards/Walmart/Lowe's/Home Depot (Quikrete) or a pool store I guess ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your inputs. Just what I wanted to hear. In india, there is no such thing as pool filter sand in the retail market. Lfs sells aquarium sand for 20 rupees (20 cents) a kilo. Pretty cheap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts