The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have ideas for what kind of tank I could do if I got a 75g? It would be a 48x18 penninsula tank. I was thinking of doing African oddballs or loaches and gobies and cyprinids or some other kinds of things. Or just a community tank. I was also considering something like a oscar but plant safe. Could any puffers do that? That could work in a African oddball setup I’m thinking if I do this, I will use my 20 long as a sump because it Is really scratched up any ideas to how much the equipent (floodlights) a sump and stuff would cost?

I need a no drill sump though. Do I need baffles and things?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Honestly I would just do some research in the Equipment subforum. Prices vary greatly depending on type/brand, whether you buy new or used, what's available to you locally vs. ordering online, etc.

Based on your preference for natural biotopes, I'd just pick a biotope and recreate it. Then you just decide which fish you want to keep from that biotope.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Start up on a brand new 75 gallon will run you will into the thousands with all equipment, hardscape, substrate, plants and livestock... With diligent sourcing and the ability to travel you can probably do it for around $300-500.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Start up on a brand new 75 gallon will run you will into the thousands with all equipment, hardscape, substrate, plants and livestock... With diligent sourcing and the ability to travel you can probably do it for around $300-500.
$300-$500? More like $3000-$5000. The tank and sump will cost more than $1000. Hardscape and substrate another $500. Plants and fish $500. Lights $500. Filter $300. Stand. Chemistry on and on.Or get lucky at a garage sale and get it all for $50.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
$300-$500? More like $3000-$5000. The tank and sump will cost more than $1000. Hardscape and substrate another $500. Plants and fish $500. Lights $500. Filter $300. Stand. Chemistry on and on.Or get lucky at a garage sale and get it all for $50.
I've gone through my "I'm not gonna pay a darn thing for this hobby" phase and put together a 90 gallon custom for $450.... It took sourcing cities within 6 hours of me through online message boards and classifieds and 3 and a half months of traveling on the weekends to pick everything up, but I did it. I think it also depends on where you live. That's why I emphasized the sourcing and traveling.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you are patient enough and aren't as particular, you can find cheap aquarium setups by looking on Kijiji. I've seen moving sales and tanks in great condition (based on photos) sell for a fraction of the cost (1/4 the price). If you are fussy about specific brands and condition of the the tank, expect to pay a premium and like others mentioned it can be in the thousands. Since you are thinking of a sump, I would look for ex-reef setups.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Anyone have ideas for what kind of tank I could do if I got a 75g? It would be a 48x18 penninsula tank. I was thinking of doing African oddballs or loaches and gobies and cyprinids or some other kinds of things. Or just a community tank. I was also considering something like a oscar but plant safe. Could any puffers do that? That could work in a African oddball setup I’m thinking if I do this, I will use my 20 long as a sump because it Is really scratched up any ideas to how much the equipent (floodlights) a sump and stuff would cost?
It all depends on your budget.
Based on my experience for 75G:
$3000-5000 - Top brands
$2000-3000 - Ok brands
Less than $2000.00 - Go to Petco/Petsmart

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.