11x Cardinal Tetra, Paracheirodon axelrodi
4x Golden White Cloud Danios, Tanichthys albonubes
5x Galaxy Rasboras, Celestichthys margaritatus
6x Harlequin Rasboras, Trigonostigma heteromorpha
4x Von Rio Tetras, Hyphessobrycon flammeus
1x Sunset Gourami, Colisa labiosa
2x Hi Fin lyretail swordtails, Xiphophorus helleri
1x Checkerboard Cichlid, Dicrossus filamentosa

Here is the story I had 3 other Gouramis in the tank and they all got the gourami disease. I think my last one is honestly sadly on his way out.

The question is am I already full really? I was thinking about 1-2 angels, I have seen a bunch of people in this forum keep them with other peaceful fish. Or I could just beef up some of my other stocks since they are schooling fish and I don't have enough, i.e. 2-3 golden white clouds, 1-2 galaxys, 2-3 von rios. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
do this test for capacity check. surface are of tank (length x width) divided by 8. This gives you "fish inches" that your tank can support as a guideline. =72 for a 48x12 55g.

Then plan based on the full-grown size of your fish species, NOT the length of the fish that you have, to determine approx capacity. Then, its up to your paramters to see if you can go up to that. I wouldn't exceed that guideline, unless you have a long history with a successful tank.

Also remember that not all "fish inches" are equal. 2 cinchld inches usually have greater bio-load than 2 inches of rasbora for instance.

AB

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah ok well here goes nothing.

11 cardinal x2"= 22
4 white cloud x2"= 8
5 galaxy x1"= 5
6 harlequin x2"= 12
4 von rios x1.5"= 6
2 Swordtails x4"= 8
1 checkerboard x3"= 3
1 oto cat x2"= 2
1 bushy nose x4.5" = 4.5
3 Dwarf Cory Cats x3"= 3

Total= 73.5... Booo :(

Thats over without even counting the gourami. Well I guess it all makes sense. I have 4 Japonica Amano shrimp too do they count? Guess I need a bigger tank. Thanks for the heads up no more adding for me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Very messy fish. Like for instance, I would count a 3-4 inch oscar as a school of 10 neon tetras. That might be a little over stated, but you catch my meaning. They produce more waste, and eat messier too.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
You might like your tank better if you cut down on the number of species and increase the schooling size of whatever species that you want to keep.

A large school of one species of fish along with your cories, brushy noses, otos and shrimp would look impressive. Check out the rummy nose/cardinal thread.

·
Registered
205 Posts
+1 in response to increased bioload for cichlids. you have to account for the body mass. cichlids have more body mass which means more food uptake which means more waste. so this will hold true for any fish. it is a direct relationship. as body mass increases, so does the waste output.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts