The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 20gallon tank all set up, I have about 6 wpg, I have CO2. The tank is ready to go I have some Anubias and Anubias Nana, as well as HC and Telrenthria. I am looking for some plants that will grow med-slow and be very green. I need some background plants mainly. Any suggestions you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated.

I have black florite sand as my substrate and, I was thinking of getting peat granules so I can grow some of the more acidic plants, I was also thinking of getting some cichlids.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of lights you're using but keep in mind Anubias are slow growing low light plants. 6wpg is overkill and you'd probably be cultivating massive amounts of algae in no time with that much light.

A few slow-moderate growing green plants would be Hygro corymbosa sp. 'compact' (more of a mid ground plant), Limno Guinea sp. 'broadleaf' (can be used anywhere), and Rotala sp. 'green narrow' (anywhere as well).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have Aqualight 2x65 Watt double linear Powercompact lighting, the anubias are loving the light! I don't believe it myself but they are growing beautifully. Also I have 0 algae growing on the tank walls, I do however have alot of hair algae. What are your thoughts on the peat?

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
I have Aqualight 2x65 Watt double linear Powercompact lighting, the anubias are loving the light! I don't believe it myself but they are growing beautifully. Also I have 0 algae growing on the tank walls, I do however have alot of hair algae. What are your thoughts on the peat?
I've never used peat before so I can't help you there. Sorry.

What's your dosing regimen if any? How long has the tank been up? Are you running pressurize C02 and how are you diffusing it? Just some questions that'll come up since you hadn't mentioned them yet.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Stay away from cabombas as a background plant. They are a very dark green and nice for awhile, but if you bunch them they will start mid level rooting and break off from the lower stems. Other than that I dont have a lot of suggestions on what to use, Im still working on a great tall background plant myself. Hope that was somewhat helpful for you.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Try Limnofila aromatica...that's a very fine bunch plant and will grow well in that kind of light, so long as you are doing some other things that speedie's inquired about.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of lights you're using but keep in mind Anubias are slow growing low light plants. 6wpg is overkill and you'd probably be cultivating massive amounts of algae in no time with that much light.

Of course! That gives me a good idea! You should grow Chara or nitella sp., a macro algae. It is not invasive and cannot grow on top of other plants or on the glass. They grow kind of slow, have fine leaves and like lots of light! They need little nutrients, other than calcium. (if your water is sort of hard or basic, that's good enough) Any charophytes that grow in your area will probably do OK in your water. They will not grow taller than about 2 feet. Usually under a foot tall, sometimes creeping along the lake bed at about 2 inches tall.

nitella (round) and chara (pointy)

Chara on the bed, myriophyllum as the tall plants

Chara (photographed my ME)

Where are they? They are in deep waters and in newly formed bodies of water, like a storm water pond that was recently (a year) set up. I went out and found some today, and it is below freezing today. So, you should still be able to get some, assuming you are in the northern hemisphere and further south than I am (North Alberta).

All the previous pictures were mostly chara. Chara looks like hornwort, but it is on the bottom and has a large space between the leaves, and about 6 spiny undivided 'leaves' per whorl, sometimes more. Nitella looks really strange. It can look like "cabomba mini" or like a bunch of tiny green pom-poms on a stem... hard to explain. In order to not get 56K, google NITELLA.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I think your hair algae is from your high light. It will only get worse. I agree that you need to decrease your light. Anubias will do fine with less so you're not gaining anything. Could it be that your bulbs are old? Slow growers are usually lower light. Good luck with your tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts